Need Semi-Slim Scale Recommendation

What's the thought on using scales that use a magnetic strip with over lament, verses a scale that embeds the mag layer inside an aluminum extrusion? It seems to me that the extrusion is just a convenient way to assist with mounting the scale. In my particular application, that makes sense for the carriage travel, but for the cross slide, a simple mag layer stuck onto the cross slide would be super easy and secure.
I have a variation of that on my cross slide. The mag strip is mounted to the inside of an aluminum el. The el is mounted to the cross slide so the tape is upside down and horizontal. The read head is mounted to the saddle. Quite compact. The el forms a chip shield which is required.

I have a variation of that on my cross slide. The mag strip is mounted to the inside of an aluminum el. The el is mounted to the cross slide so the tape is upside down and horizontal. The read head is mounted to the saddle. Quite compact. The el forms a chip shield which is required.
I may do this. Does anyone know, if I buy the Ditron DRO 2 axis kit if the mag strip is already attached to the aluminum extrusion? The description implies it is not. Also they seem to be mixing the read head sizes up it the pics?

Pulled the trigger on a slim magnetic scale from Ditron Official Store on AliExpress. I was told that they will upgrade my purchase to a 1um scale for free. Fingers crossed.

Pulled the trigger on a slim magnetic scale from Ditron Official Store on AliExpress. I was told that they will upgrade my purchase to a 1um scale for free. Fingers crossed.
Please let us know how the purchase goes. I ordered some Driton scales many years ago from them directly from them way before there was AliExpress, no problems dealing with them back then.

The Driton scale is moving very quickly through the shipping process. They use FedEx, so that helps greatly. Ordered 1/30, delivery scheduled 2/11. Not bad!

Hope I didn't mess up when ordering this scale, though. It's RS422 type, and I think my other scale is TTL. Is this going to cause any problems? And what's the difference anyway, from a functional standpoint? I'm hoping it's just a matter of using a different pin-out on the DB9 connectors.

Last edited:
The scale arrived today. One week from order to door, and I ordered at 8PM in the evening. Ditron upgraded to 1u for free too. Excellent service.

Wow that was fast. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Think someone is kayaking across the Pacific with it...

Well, we have a problem. Bubbling plating on the critical surface of read head. I messaged the seller. Let's see how they respond.

20230208_065054.jpg

It doesn't look very nice. How is that particular surface critical? It's not a mounting surface. Not even sure the other flat face with the screw holes is that critical. Doesn't the read head have springs to align it to the glass scale?

However, you did buy a new product, not a factory reject that clearly has quality issues with corrosion and plating. I'd try to get some satisfaction, if it was me. But if "you can't get no satisfaction", I'd install it anyways after cleaning it up. Does the scale work?

The defective surface is the face that goes down against the magnetic strip and picks up the position signal. The mounting specs say to position that face about 1mm from the strip. Not an ideal situation. It may be possible to scrap off the bubbled platting, and seal the surface with something, but that's not my first choice. Good news, the seller messaged me stating that they will arrange shipping me a new sensor. Fingers crossed on this.

Back