Need Semi-Slim Scale Recommendation

Hi Bernd, I will let you know, Y and Z are not an issue but i'm still getting my head around the X scale, I had it all worked out using the mag tape but am reconsidering due to info received here.

BTW how do you like your mill?
any pointers on dealing with the small working envelope?

David
I do mostly model railroad items and such and have no problem with the small work envelope. I do wish I could use a boring tool but because the head moves up and down on ways instead of a dedicated spindle, I like the machine. I just recently redid the draw bar. I couldn't find what model I had because that plate got lost a while ago. So I did a search and got the model number. That's when I discovered Grizzly no longer made the machine. In a panic I came up with making one myself. I got some metric bolts from Tractor Supply. The longest they had were 4", I think.

Here's some pics of what I did.

fix-4.JPG

I had modified the original draw bar, but after some time of knocking out the tools from the collet, the threads got bad. So I made actually made two draw rods. This was the first. The second used a different bolt head.

fix-5.JPG

Turned a spigot on one to 1/4"dia. Turned own the head and drilled a 1/4" hole in the other.

fix-6.JPG

Use red Loctite to hold the two together.

fix-7.JPG

And pinned it a 1/16" pin for further strength.

fix-8.JPG

That's a pin in there, not a broken drill or tap. ;)

The end result.

fix-11.JPG

Works great. I like the incorporated washer on the bolt head.

Bernd

I do mostly model railroad items and such and have no problem with the small work envelope. I do wish I could use a boring tool but because the head moves up and down on ways instead of a dedicated spindle, I like the machine. I just recently redid the draw bar. I couldn't find what model I had because that plate got lost a while ago. So I did a search and got the model number. That's when I discovered Grizzly no longer made the machine. In a panic I came up with making one myself. I got some metric bolts from Tractor Supply. The longest they had were 4", I think.

Here's some pics of what I did.

View attachment 453867

I had modified the original draw bar, but after some time of knocking out the tools from the collet, the threads got bad. So I made actually made two draw rods. This was the first. The second used a different bolt head.

View attachment 453869

Turned a spigot on one to 1/4"dia. Turned own the head and drilled a 1/4" hole in the other.

View attachment 453870

Use red Loctite to hold the two together.

View attachment 453871

And pinned it a 1/16" pin for further strength.

View attachment 453872

That's a pin in there, not a broken drill or tap. ;)

The end result.

View attachment 453873

Works great. I like the incorporated washer on the bolt head.

Bernd
very cool I just ordered a crap load of cheap Vevor glass scales, just need to order the interface and a tablet

thank you Yuriy, i get all of that about signal integrity, my confusion was about would the RS-422 work out of the box with your system (provided i purchase the glass scale/mag scale version). as i understand you it does not matter to your equipment which scale I buy either will work.
thanks for the clarification.

also i have read all of the threads here and info on your site about scales and i gather that:
1. capacitive will work but are more trouble than they are worth.
2. cheap chinese magnetic tape scales are a crap shoot.
3. middle of the road magnetic are good to go.
4. just about any cheap chinese glass scales are good to go just take a lot of room and have to be shielded from liquids.

I have a second hand Grizzly g0758 (the price was right) and due to its small size, glass scales will be difficult to fit on my X axis without compromising my Y axis travel. I'm thinking that my plan is to buy a set of cheap glass scales and try to fit them to my mill (using your touch DRO) and if i cannot get the x scale to fit i will purchase a mid priced magnetic scale (the smallest that i can find/afford).

any additional guidance?

have you have any experience with integrating the spindle DRO with your system, i have a hard time reading that thing and am thinking it would be easier if it was summed with the column and displayed on the DRO.
I was thinking about the possibility of this also.

Possible or too much to ask?

I was thinking about the possibility of this also.

Possible or too much to ask?
if you are asking about summing the 2 z axis, just a second z scale plug it in and setup to sum on the touch dro, the hard part is mounting a scale on your quill

Back