[How do I?] Need some help reversing a motor

Hunch was right, there are indeed 3 separate sets of windings in this stator. So I removed the blue wire with 2 pair and added a red and yellow to their ends, see if this makes more sense or makes it worse.

Blue to browns: 1.5
Yellow to white: 2.5
Red to green: 1.5

ALL other connections are OC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, the yellow and white winding ends are visually thinner copper than the others.

Let's backtrack a bit, post 38 something doesn't add up in the OEM case:
if:
blue to brown= 1.5
blue to green= 1.5
then green to brown should be 3.0 not OC
check that again
My hunch was correct the motor was wound as a dual voltage motor but manufactured as a 120 volt, two run windings and one start winding
I'm having trouble following what you did to go from the OEM case to post 41, but you apparently have isolated the start winding as white and yellow
Now, can you connect put it all back together with white and yellow swapped compared to the OEM configuration? That should reverse the motor
Also, can you draw a before and after for my own enlightenment?

I'm thinking this is how it was originally, but the actual winding arrangement may be different. For example, the run windings each may be two or more separate windings connected in parallel, same with the start winding
This is why it was such a pain because they didn't bring out the other end of the start winding. Apparently you were able to find it and bring it out with a yellow wire
As far as the red/green you want to connect the red end back the way it was originally, to the bundle where blue connected
FrenchStat2a.jpeg

Last edited:
So you would then have this:
And when you reconnect everything back, the yellow and brown would go to the caps and centrifugal switch, and the white connects to blue outside
Frenchstat3a.jpeg

Last edited:
Tape up everything real good and reassemble it, you should be good to go

FYI the thermal button can be considered like a short between all three wires, for all practical purposes. It has a current sensing element and a switch contact; the motor would run essentially the same if all three wires were tied together, without the thermal overload protection- I'd keep it in though

I planned on keeping the thermal switch in the loop, I’m assuming the run windings and start winding both draw their current through it so in the event of an overheat it cuts power to both circuits.

I will work on this tonight and let you know the outcome

So you would then have this:
And when you reconnect everything back, the yellow and brown would go to the caps and centrifugal switch, and the white connects to blue outside
View attachment 298601

You, my good sir, are a rockstar! Success after long last! I really can’t thank you enough, would’ve taken me forever to figure this out on my own, I definitely owe you big time!

Cool, I'm glad you got it- another motor saved from the scrap pile!
Took a little work but it was worth it I hope
You certainly did a good job on your end, some people are tough to help because, well, they are just helpless LOL

Back