Need Some Insight On Rivett Lathes

Very good looking machine, plus he has the docs and plenty of extra parts also. I have no idea about the price/value though.

Oh, Oh...someone else has spotted that lathe. :)

My two cents? worth is relative. If you like it and can afford it, go for it. I personally don't know anything about that particular lathe, other than the reputation of anything built by Rivett. Hyper accurate is the impression I get. If I had any room left I'd have already gotten that thing, with the sole purpose of restoring it and occasionally taking the glass top off I'd make to run it to make some small part. And grinning the whole time. If this one had the secondary gearbox on it I'd already be tinkering with it in the dining room, with my wife glaring at me the whole time... :D

Nice looking lathe, if it's made as well as it looks I bet it's well worth the money, I've seen some real junk with asking prices that and higher , that looks like some super machinist put there heads together and made them. But go ck it out it may be damaged or broken somewhere unseen in pics. Let us know . .

My only concern was the broken teeth on some of the gears but has a secondary headgear box with no broken teeth, and the lack of a thread cutting gear box. Maybe I find on on ebay to add to it.

He does say it has the change gears for cutting threads.

I've never used a lathe this old or this gorgeous.
Change gears would certainly not be as convenient as a quick-change.

Consider:
How much threading do you do/want to do?
Does the scale and capacity meet your current and anticipated future needs?
How accurate and precise of a lathe do you need?

Near as I can tell, while the threading might arguably be inconvenient and burdensome for a production shop, she may pay off in accuracy and precision if that's important to you. Will this be your only lathe? Will you have need for larger diameters or greater length? Larger engine lathes are not usually considered tool room lathes. This eye-candy was designed for the tool room.

Daryl
MN

Uglydog, most of what Ill be doing is some barrel work and model making. As much as Id love to have more than one lather only gonna have room for one, and a Bridgeport mill. My father taught me if you can make as close to perfect do it, take no shortcuts and damn that lathe is pretty.

Back