Need Some Insight On Rivett Lathes

Milehimachine,
Ya gotta keep us updated!

Daryl
MN

That cabinet is OE? I would never have guessed that it was. That is amazing!

The device illustrated is an attachment for automatically advancing a threading tool the correct amount to take the next cut. Just work the handle to rotate the circular threading tool. Then,take the next pass.
It is not an attachment I'd consider necessary. Perhaps it was intended for unskilled users in a factory,who were just doing a repetitive threading operation.

Well I'll be looking at this lathe tomorrow afternoon, if its everything the pics show, I will have a new toy to add to my shop. I will need to get it into storage untill I move though, but that will give me time to locate a mill.

Vintage precision.
Huge covet going on here in my shop!
Daryl
MN

I have a 608, and can tell you it is a fabulous machine. The threading attachment that was shown earlier still needs the half nut engaged; it only changes the profile of the cut at each pass. Expect that the attachments that come with the lathe are likely to be the only ones you ever get, as they are EXTREMELY rare, and go for an arm and a leg on eBay. The lathe you are looking at was featured in an archive of Scientific American, and as it states, they are super-precision machines. If this helps, my lathe was owned by a machinist friend, who sold everything but his Rivett when he retired.

Well looked at this lathe this weekend and the pics do her no justice. It is a beautiful piece of machinery, made an offer on it and the gentleman didnt accept it. As much as I would have love to own this I am keeping myself within my budget. Maybe the gent will change his mind and will call me back. He was asking $1900, I offered $1500.

Completely understood.
I really don't even like kicking the tires unless I've got the cash to cover a purchase.
Wish I lived closer, I'd work to cover the additional $400.
I'd even let you store it at my place!!

Daryl
MN

too bad I didn't see this post sooner--I didn't get to see the rivet lathe because he deleted the posting ---Dave

Back