Need Some Insight On Rivett Lathes

Yea he does but I think he has this instead of the gearbox for thread cutting.img26.jpg

Interesting pic!!
I was looking at a similar set up for gear cutting on a shaper this past weekend.
Of course with a shaper the cutter moves and the stock doesn't.
The lock is also interesting as the setup this past weekend only used a nut & bolt to snug it from rotation.

Daryl
MN

Yes it is I have never seen a setup like this, looking at some other attachments available for this lathe I see some extremely interesting ones, especially the drill making one. The more I think about it the more I think I might just get this beautiful piece of machinery and as many attachments I can find and experiment like hell.

Ways look good in the pics.
Any data on overall wear/backlash?
All rebuildable of course, but it might be good to identify some circumstances under which you say no... (Note: I can't think of any!)
Based on the links I posted above, I wonder if the cabinet is OEM?

Daryl
MN

The cabinet is OEM based on what I have seen from of your links, I'm think backlash shoudnt be an issue with this machine considering it has only 4 owners and one being CU. Gonna have to give the guy a call and set up an appointment to see it up close and personal.

I have a friend that has a Rivett 608. They are gorgeous machines, essentially scraped all over, "best work." They are from a time when time was much less valuable than today and accuracy took careful workmanship. If they were made today in the same manner they might as well be made of gold. They are a testament to the craftsmanship of the time, a time that is long since gone...

That cabinet is the original mount for the lathe and appears to be in excellent condition. The cabinet alone is worth more than most modern lathes. They are not making any more of them...

Dose it have cross feed dials, if so you might want a magnifying glass

The Rivett was one of the finest lathes ever built. Google "Tony Lathes". Go to his site and find the Rivett section.

This particular lathe is one that has the highly finished headstock and tailstock. The ones made during the war had these two castings left as cast and painted black.

The Rivett lathe has more surface for the carriage to rest on than any other lathe anywhere near its size. Like any machine,though,things will eventually wear out. Look at all the surfaces the carriage bears against to see if scraping marks still remain.

Rivett also made this lathe with a QC gearbox. Too bad this one does not have that. But,if it isn't worn smack out,it is easily worth the price.

Back