Need some things for the South Bend Shaper that followed me home.

Shackelford R

Registered
Registered
So, a couple weeks ago a 7" South Bend Shaper followed me home, it looks to be in excellent condition but needs some things put back on it and it didn't come with any tool holders or a stand. So if any body has any they are willing to part with or know where to get them please let me know.
thumbnail.jpg

You can build your own stand. When I got mine it came on a home made stand of welded 2" square tubing and a plywood top. It was functional as it came but I covered the top with galvanized sheet metal and added wooden drawers underneath. Wood is also an option, Atlas sold a hardwood stand for their shaper (see http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/51/3441.pdf ). Assuming you have the "lantern" you can put some high speed steel tooling directly in the lantern without a holder. Eventually you will want a holder but you can do a lot without one. Here is a picture that shows my stand before I added the drawers:
IMG_2940.JPG

I do look on eBay, and yes I have thought about building my own stand which I might do while I search for a South Bend stand. I do not have the lantern and am looking for that as well. I herd tell a lantern from a small lathe will work haven't been able to confirm. I thought i would check around here if anybody had anything or knew someone who does. Thanks for the responses that was fast. Nice looking stand too btw.

I miss my little shaper. They're quite a bit of fun to operate. Keep us updated as you get her up to speed.

jwmay yes they are and I defiantly will keep the forum updated. I am 99% sure this is my forever shaper, I don't think I will need a larger one but if i get a bigger shop well I wouldn't mind but I still would never get ride of this one. I blame my YouTube and in person mentors not to drop names but they start with Mr. Pete. Adam and A guy named Steve lol they are the reason I started liking shapers.

jwmay yes they are and I defiantly will keep the forum updated. I am 99% sure this is my forever shaper, I don't think I will need a larger one but if i get a bigger shop well I wouldn't mind but I still would never get ride of this one. I blame my YouTube and in person mentors not to drop names but they start with Mr. Pete. Adam and A guy named Steve lol they are the reason I started liking shapers.
Hah, I said that once....

I got into them for the same reason! The lanterns and tool holders are easy enough to make on a lathe with a little bit of mill-work, so that is always an option too! I ended up making MOST of one for an internal-bore cutter for my previously-owned small shaper (I now Have a giant one instead...).

So, sounds like I need to get the lathe working again to make parts for the shaper, awesome. I saw a 32 or 36 inch for less than 3 grand, I'm not going to lie if I had my shop and the money I would have had to find someone with a semi to get it home lol.

You'll enjoy it once you get it going. Good luck!

My little Atlas is going to have to earn it's keep tomorrow. I don't use it a lot, but I do enjoy it when I do.

Back