Need some things for the South Bend Shaper that followed me home.

And a sketch. Dimensions are in inches measured with cheap digital calipers.

Attachments

• SB_Shaper_Tool_Post_Diagram001.jpg
    SB_Shaper_Tool_Post_Diagram001.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 192
Man the lathe ain't done and your already giving me projects lol. Thanks for the dimensional drawings was going to look for some in my spare time.

Interesting! I don't know if I've ever seen a shaper tool post with an angled base! It isn't clear to me what the largest diameter on that drawing is however, I see the main 'bar' part is .862, but nothing on the outer-edge of the taper (nor the angle of the taper, which presumably is important).

Sadly, I don't think I have any bar stock that big (in my junk pile, otherwise i'd offer to whip that up in my shop for you (or, at least after it stops being 100 degrees here :D !).

I am not in a huge rush since the lathe needs to be done first then I can move it back to the wall then reorganize then shaper, who am I kidding I cant wait. It will be a fun little project for sure. I can't wait to have a bigger shop.

I have updated the sketch with the diameter of the base and the diameter of the top of the lantern. The top edge of the lantern taper is rounded so it is a bit of a guestimate but it's surely not critical. I don't really have any tool to measure the angle of the base. Using trigonometry I calculate it at 58.93 degrees but I suspect it's most likely 60 degrees. You can measure the matching angle at the inside of the clapper. Note that the lantern base is not flush with the back of the clapper when it is installed, but rather is recessed about 1/16".SB_Shaper_Tool_Post_Diagram002.jpg

Huh... I actually have some 1-1/16" 12L14 stock left from another project(a mess-up from the dividing head project!), so I could probably get the lantern itself done with what i have on hand. I'm not sure if I have any 1.5" stock for the ring though... MAYBE in aluminum? @Shackelford R : Any interest? I'd be willing to do it for the cost of some patience (its going to be 100+ for the next like 4 days here!) and shipping cost.

Sure that would be great let me know. Thank you.
Just finished! Had a bit of 1.5" 12L14 so was able to turn the ring as well! I even managed to find a square head bolt in my drawer to fit. It might be a little long, but you can cut it down if you'd like.

PM me your address and I'll toss it in a flat rate box.

Attachments

• PXL_20210630_232503821.jpg
    PXL_20210630_232503821.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 147
  • PXL_20210630_232511422.jpg
    PXL_20210630_232511422.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 163
Back