Need some things for the South Bend Shaper that followed me home.

I have a lantern toolholder from an SB9 in the parts for sale section for $20 shipped if it fits? Not sure how they're attached to the clapper, but if you let me know I can see if it'd work.

I have a lantern toolholder from an SB9 in the parts for sale section for $20 shipped if it fits? Not sure how they're attached to the clapper, but if you let me know I can see if it'd work.
On a shaper, the lantern tool post has a 'flange' that sits in a recess in the back of the clapper. It is 'held into' the clapper by the tool/bolt on the top of the tool-post putting pressure on the front of the tool-post.

oh, so a shaper lantern tool post goes through the clapper, kind of like a top hat bushing? I did not know that :)

oh, so a shaper lantern tool post goes through the clapper, kind of like a top hat bushing? I did not know that :)
Based on my googling of 'top hat bushing', that is correct. You don't have to worry about the tool post falling out since there is something behind it during tool changes, but it makes the lantern really easy to remove, since you just take out the tool and lift the clapper.

very cool, thanks for the info! Mine definitely won't work then :)

Good to know about the Lantern tool post, I had no idea I haven't been able to locate any for a shaper. Looks like I will have to make some when I get the lathe back up. If anybody comes across any please let me know.

Some pictures of my SB shaper lantern tool post:

Attachments

• IMG_1371.JPG
    IMG_1371.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1372.JPG
    IMG_1372.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1373.JPG
    IMG_1373.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1374.JPG
    IMG_1374.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1375.JPG
    IMG_1375.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 147
Some pictures of my SB shaper lantern tool post:
Interesting! I've not seen one with that spacer ring before! Only reason i would think to do that is if the clapper is so thin you can't get the square part of the tool cutout flush.

Back