Need some things for the South Bend Shaper that followed me home.

Just finished! Had a bit of 1.5" 12L14 so was able to turn the ring as well! I even managed to find a square head bolt in my drawer to fit. It might be a little long, but you can cut it down if you'd like.

And this is another example of why this is the best forum on the internet!

Quick note. I went through my pile of tool holders, and even my #1 holders were too big! I suspect this takes something on the smaller side. According to the Armstrong catelog I found, you likely want a #0 tool holder.

I believe the most useful Armstrong lathe holders would be those that don't have a built in angle (the cutter is held parallel to the base). These would include T-0-L, T-0-R, T-0-S, XX-0-L, XX-0-R, XX-0-S. The shaper specific holders that should work are "Extension Shaper Tool #46" for internal work and probably the most useful of all "Planer and Shaper Tool #39". These last two are probably the most useful and the hardest to find without taking out a second mortgage. There is a web page that shows a homemade version of the #39 (Try Googling "metal shapers Kay Fisher"). I vaguely remember it being taboo to share that content directly here.

I believe the most useful Armstrong lathe holders would be those that don't have a built in angle (the cutter is held parallel to the base). These would include T-0-L, T-0-R, T-0-S, XX-0-L, XX-0-R, XX-0-S. The shaper specific holders that should work are "Extension Shaper Tool #46" for internal work and probably the most useful of all "Planer and Shaper Tool #39". These last two are probably the most useful and the hardest to find without taking out a second mortgage. There is a web page that shows a homemade version of the #39 (Try Googling "metal shapers Kay Fisher"). I vaguely remember it being taboo to share that content directly here.
Yeah, I had a #39 on my small shaper, and it was about the most useful tool for the small shaper I could find! I wish in retrospect I could have kept it or at least taken some good pictures to just make one, they aren't particularly complicated.

Back