Need to learn how to machine pushrods

Thanks for the replies. Is a facing tool something I grind out of an HSS blank or is it something I buy already done/made?

I would think that the push rods would be too hard for a tubing cutter. A small cutoff wheel on a Dremel or die grinder would work effectively.

I would think that the push rods would be too hard for a tubing cutter. A small cutoff wheel on a Dremel or die grinder would work effectively.

I've used tubing cutters in the past. They work, but it takes a long time to go through them (all 8) and the blades don't last. The tubing cutter doesn't cut super clean, as it bevels the edges on both pieces.

You would grind the tool from a HSS blank.. You will want to set the tool up so there is side relief both horizontally and vertically. There are number of threads on this forum that describe grinding tools.

I have both a 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck available. I was using the 3 jaw last night, experimenting with grinding my own tool bits on an old pushrod. I don't have a QCTP.

yes if you can grind your own from HSS that would work.

Any means you have of cutting to within 1/8th of the mark is better than parting on the lathe. I have a tubing cutter like this and have used it on steel tubing. With good lube on the cut it works. Since the end will be faced is the beveling a problem?

yes if you can grind your own from HSS that would work.

Any means you have of cutting to within 1/8th of the mark is better than parting on the lathe. I have a tubing cutter like this and have used it on steel tubing. With good lube on the cut it works. Since the end will be faced is the beveling a problem?

I do have a bench grinder, but not sure I have the knack for grinding the tool bit yet. I did buy a square-end carbide bit from a shop, but aren't quite sure of how to use it to face the pushrod (Do i use the corner of it or one of the edges?) Beveled edges wouldn't be an issue if I could figure out the facing part to finish off the process o_O

I would use my tangential tool holder for facing so I'm not much help. I think that with only .032'' of steel to cut that you could use an edge and feed in with the carriage. There is a loooong thread on tool grinding so lets wait for the experts to join in and provide some better guidance.
If your carbide tool is the brazed variety then it might need sharpening before getting good results with it. However it can not be ground with a typical grey grinding wheel. It takes a silicon carbide wheel (often green in color). Give the HSS a try first after you get the knack for grinding it.

Lantern tool posts are fine - they were the standard for over a hundred years, and lots of excellent work was done with them. They can be a bit of a pain, but they address one of the tool angles (back rake) with no grinding required, they are quick to position and make it easy to reach many orientations. Learning how to use the lantern post type of tooling will be one of the easier machining competencies to figure out - compared to many other abilities that necessary to produce good results with machine tools.

Back