Need to learn how to machine pushrods

You already have indexable tooling in your photos and they are tungsten carbide.
dgehricke

Perusing the pictures in the original post there are some HSS tool bits that appear already ground. There is probably a facing tool there as this is a basic lathe operation. If so it might only need sharpening. The lantern tool holder is fine for facing with those tools.

As just mentioned there is also a set of inserted carbide tools in a red plastic container. These would not be my first choice for this particular job. They would not fit in the lantern tool post anyway.

Last edited:
Lantern tool posts are fine - they were the standard for over a hundred years, and lots of excellent work was done with them. They can be a bit of a pain, but they address one of the tool angles (back rake) with no grinding required, they are quick to position and make it easy to reach many orientations. Learning how to use the lantern post type of tooling will be one of the easier machining competencies to figure out - compared to many other abilities that necessary to produce good results with machine tools.
No argument here, my suggestion was for ease of use, added rigidity and one less thing to mess around with. I used Lantern toolposts for years without a problem but then went to a four-tool toolpost,(I have seen a great looking three-tool triangular one),and then a QCTP and would not go back. I use HSS tangential tooling and Carbide. Probably the single greatest advantage of a lantern toolpost is when turning between centers and working around the tailstock end of the work.

Back