NSFW Never stop paying attention

Warning: thread may contain photos that are not for the squeamish.
Ow Ow Ow!!
I do feel for you. Sorry this happened.
I also think the thread should be moved into the "ALL ABOUT GOOFS & BLUNDERS YOU SHOULD AVOID!" section.

Yesterday while working on cleaning up the debris that busted off our Maple tree during the heavy wet snow we got a little over a week ago. I was using our chipper shredder chipping up some of the branches the shoot got stacked up against the door (Not Plugged) I lifted the door and for the life of me I don't know why but I reached down to knock the debris out with my right hand, stupid, stupid, stupid. Got to close and hit the tip of my ring finger. I normally do that with a pitchfork and have never had a problem. Busted up the bone on tip of the finger also, I don't know if it's necessary but I'm going to reach out to an orthopedic clinic on Monday to see if they will look at the x-ray.

Anyway, I got to thinking about how close I was to the end of the pile, and I don't know what else, but I seemed to forget just dangerous the chipper was and made a stupid move.

View attachment 427247

View attachment 427248
It is very lucky it was not worse.

Just last month in california a worker was killed by wood chipper. This past spring just a short distance from me in Oshawa Ontario an arborist was killed by wood chipper.

Get it looked at. They might set it and cast it if the bone is broken. Mostly just to make sure it doesn’t heal crooked or to protect it from painful “knocks” while healing.

I’d be more counting my blessings it didn’t grab a hold of you or clothing/gloves and start pulling you in….could have lost a lot more than a finger or hand.

I’m not lecturing for sure. I’ve done stupid things more than once and was just lucky to get away with it. Doesn’t mean I didn’t have a “come to Jesus” moment after I realized how stupid I just was….

About a month ago, my new jointer took off about 1/8 in. of fingernail and a bit of finger, (second finger, right hand) it must have been hungry. It could have been far worse, but it hurt and it reminded me that experience alone is not enough to keep you from getting hurt.

Ow Ow Ow!!
I do feel for you. Sorry this happened.
I also think the thread should be moved into the "ALL ABOUT GOOFS & BLUNDERS YOU SHOULD AVOID!" section.
Good idea, that's where I should have put it to start with. I wonder if I can move it or if an admin has to move it?

Good idea, that's where I should have put it to start with. I wonder if I can move it or if an admin has to move it?
Maybe type in the title, then Ctrl-C from start place, and Ctrl-V to copy it into the new place. The same posting left behind in "Off Topic" can stay, since folk have replied to it. That said, moving a whole thread is something that can be done. @vtcnc probably knows how, or knows someone who does. :)

Your posting is actually quite hard to look at, yet should be seen by all. The density of nerves in fingers is huge, compared to most other parts of the body, and the associated pain is extreme. I do hope it is healing well.

Back