New Acquisition, Shenwai SW-900B

That is right, but how much of a risk depends by the height of the machine, and the depth of the stand.
I use these castors that come in different sizes and can "retract" the wheel to level the machine, bolted to the stand without extending.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003594350219.html
On my 250 x 550 combo lathe (it has a milling column), on the wheels there is no way I can tip the machine even with full force applied at the top of the milling head. However using it that way is unpleasant and just wrong, so I leave it on wheels only when moving it. I have a car screw jack with protrusions cut off, which fits under the stand and makes the transition easier.
When on the solid stands (wheels retracted) the machine is totally firm on the ground.
Big difference between budget leveling casters and real Carrymaster.

Here’s what I did with my mill, had the same setup for my lathe but with the knockoff casters. Would definitely spend
the extra money again.

IMG_2967.jpeg
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/samson-vertical-knee-mill.106969/post-1057353

John

Big difference between budget leveling casters and real Carrymaster.

If you link or summarize their cost we can even compare the original/copy under that point of views, which I think is the rational approach when deciding purchases. Incidentally I'm not sure the "originals" are internationally available at any reasonable price.

Personally the only machine I use on hardware store casters is my column drill, which should be perhaps between 150 and 200 Kg. Surely not under my mill at 900 Kg, The user manual of these machines call for for bolting it down to studs in concrete.

The wheels frame for said drill has a large screw with knob in the front to drive down a sturdy foot. Since the rear wheels don't swivel, that gives it an acceptable firmness when using it, but it's still immediate to move. If anyone is interested I can post pictures, it's something real simple indeed.

Here's what I put under my mill, bought them from a fellow forum member used but as new condition.

YMMV, but I bought some from Vevor and was definitely disappointed with them. Perhaps if I had oversized them more it would have been fine but for the price difference I'll go with Zambus who make many different things for industrial applications.

John

Well, upon seeing those leveling feet and liking the idea of them, I decided to take a gamble and order a set off Amazon:

Personally, I feel that the quality is quite good on them. Fit and finish looked quite nice when I inspected them out of the box. The wheels roll very well; I can pivot the lathe around one handed, and the machine feels very stable while rolling. I work in an industrial environment and thus completely understand paying for reliability and peace of mind, however for my garage where profit isn't on the line, I think these will do just fine!

Side note for anyone else with a Taiwan 12x36 style lathe, I found that these place mine at a very comfortable working height as a 5'8" individual. Controls are at elbow height and the spindle/chuck is at chest level; no need to hunch over to operate the machine.

Machine is still being cleaned/lightly refurbed! Have been busy with work and also prepping a late model Atlas/Craftsman 12" for sale.

Attachments

• IMG_20230909_191048.jpg
    IMG_20230909_191048.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20230909_191039.jpg
    IMG_20230909_191039.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 62
Well, upon seeing those leveling feet and liking the idea of them, I decided to take a gamble and order a set off Amazon:

These are the same exact ones that I have mentioned above and have been hastily dismissed as junk, while in fact are perfectly fine as you have found yourself.
I have now 3 sets, of all different size under machines of different weight and will order again for an heavier lathe.
Note however that the wheel and its shaft are relatively small with no ball bearings. This indicates that the intended use is limited, occasional moving. The feet must be extended the rest of the time.

There were two different Shinwai SW-900's up for sale during the time I was looking, and I wanted to buy one, but they were kind of far away, and sold before I could pull the trigger. From everything I've read, they are a classic Taiwan belt drive 12" model. I don't know if the threading gearbox is a weakness per se, but one unit I considered, had some damaged gears. And a google search on the subject, turned up another guy who rebuilt his SW-900 gearbox for the same reason. In the end, I wound up with a gear head Taiwan unit instead, which is very similar. At first, I used some of those leveling casters like shown, but in my machine's case, they raised up an already tall machine too high for my comfort level. The machine moved well enough with them, though, easily handling the weight. Personally, if using them, I'd build an outrigger, and extend them outboard some. The stands on those machines are somewhat narrow, so extreme caution should be used when rolling it.

BTW, if anyone wants a set of those casters, I'll provide them for the cost of shipping, plus a small donation to this site. PM me if interested.

Still plugging along with working on the machine. I still have not put it under power due to the fact that my electrical panel is a mess; someone felt the need to play with it and I think it needs a thorough going through. With the sad state it's in I'm wondering if it's worth trying to restore to original condition or if I should just go to a VFD. Thoughts from anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_20230927_181113.jpg
    IMG_20230927_181113.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 46
Still plugging along with working on the machine. I still have not put it under power due to the fact that my electrical panel is a mess; someone felt the need to play with it and I think it needs a thorough going through. With the sad state it's in I'm wondering if it's worth trying to restore to original condition or if I should just go to a VFD. Thoughts from anyone?
The answer to your question is yes. Buy a 2hp 3 phase motor and a VFD and don’t look back.

Yes it’s an additional expense, but it’s totally worth it.

John

Back