New Acquisition, Shenwai SW-900B

Sure thing.
I'm having problems identifying things in that first pic.
Can you do other angles, and also a little further out to see what area you are zooming in on?
Here are some views better explaining what I'm showing here. This is a view of the underside of the saddle. The rear way surface can be seen near the top of it:
IMG_20240104_183924.jpg

And zoomed in further on that rear trapezoidal way surface:
IMG_20240104_183834.jpg

And a view from the side as well:
IMG_20240104_183722.jpg

My phone camera is not the best, so hopefully this makes it a little more clear what I'm referring to. I can see multiple ridges on the way surface as well as what appears to be raw cast iron, not machined at all. Got missed in QC I guess?

So I think that A is clearance for your tailstock ways.
And B is your carriage rear ...
I wish you had taken the clamp/anti lift bar off to see it better.
If I have that right, then yea, it looks a little rough, maybe rusty/ pitted, or like you say not machined.

IMG_20240104_183722.jpg

So I think that A is clearance for your tailstock ways.
And B is your carriage rear ...
I wish you had taken the clamp/anti lift bar off to see it better.
If I have that right, then yea, it looks a little rough, maybe rusty/ pitted, or like you say not machined.

View attachment 473211
I am referring to the area that you've tagged as "A". From your post however I'm gathering that my concern may be unwarranted. Is the corresponding area on the lathe bed not a bearing surface for the saddle/carriage and only used for clamping the tailstock? On other lathes I've seen the area tagged as "A" is still usually finished just as nicely as the front vee way.

I am referring to the area that you've tagged as "A". From your post however I'm gathering that my concern may be unwarranted. Is the corresponding area on the lathe bed not a bearing surface for the saddle/carriage and only used for clamping the tailstock? On other lathes I've seen the area tagged as "A" is still usually finished just as nicely as the front vee way.
well, it would be easier to answer if I could see your pics of the carriage riding on the lathe.. looking at the original pics you sent, it appears that your carriage runs on a flat rear way, and the tail stock runs on the V way in the rear.

I would still be concerned if it were riding on the tailstock way, since it is not a nice looking carriage area (A). But I am worried B looks ugly right now too. Maybe it only needs a stoning.

well, it would be easier to answer if I could see your pics of the carriage riding on the lathe.. looking at the original pics you sent, it appears that your carriage runs on a flat rear way, and the tail stock runs on the V way in the rear.

I would still be concerned if it were riding on the tailstock way, since it is not a nice looking carriage area (A). But I am worried B looks ugly right now too. Maybe it only needs a stoning.
I am inclined to say that (A) is clearanced to completely avoid the bed way, as the surface finish of (A) is terrible with a couple ridges and would leave a nasty wear pattern on the bed way, which looks immaculate. However now agreeing with what you suggest, that (B) of the carriage is riding on the flat way, I agree that I need to take the clamp off in order to inspect it more closely. I'm finished in the garage for the evening but will try to post some further photos of that area once it's disassembled.

That looks like casting porosity that either broke through with wear, or maybe, was there from the start, but dismissed by the manufacturer. Kind of a bummer, but since there is a good bit of support on the saddle, I doubt it will be a deal breaker.

And For What It's Worth, I had a 8x16 china cheepie, and the apron, around the split nut for the lead screw, had a huge casting porosity hole which the manufacturer dismissed. A bushing was installed, but the support for it was not ideal, because the casting was just plain $hit. So goes it with asian machinery some times.

After pulling the clamp off the rear way is thankfully in good shape. There's some wear on the rear gibs but nothing too concerning, it's pretty much consistent with the wear on the front way. It was all absolutely filthy and some areas had surface rust, so I'm glad I decided to go in and clean everything out.

Attachments

• IMG_20240105_143139.jpg
    IMG_20240105_143139.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240105_143143.jpg
    IMG_20240105_143143.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240105_143337.jpg
    IMG_20240105_143337.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240105_143359.jpg
    IMG_20240105_143359.jpg