New Acquisition, Shenwai SW-900B

Here’s how i did it on my second SW900-B
Thank you for the video! Nice to see at least a couple of these machines exist out in the wild. Question for you, what did you find all the buttons on the front control panel do? I've been puzzling over it since I can't find a manual specifically for the Shenwai, and it seems like every manufacturer had a different button configuration.

Still plugging along with working on the machine. I still have not put it under power due to the fact that my electrical panel is a mess; someone felt the need to play with it and I think it needs a thorough going through. With the sad state it's in I'm wondering if it's worth trying to restore to original condition or if I should just go to a VFD. Thoughts from anyone?
It may seem a mess to you because the wires are not ordered, coherently colored or labeled, but there is no guarantee that they ever were. Perhaps the connectors or other elements appear to be in a poor state, but it is perfectly possible that everything works as intended.

The buttons are most likely start and stop for the motor contractors, in two directions, and maybe the for coolant pump.
If you cannot make sense of it, you will need to probe all connections and draw a diagram, or try to find the original diagagram and most likely y you will understand, of course if you have a modicum if electrical knowledge. If you don't, I recommend that you let someone else work on it.

Personally I do not suggest that you place the car ahead of the horse and start buying niw See first what really goes on when fully using the machine for your purposes. It may happen that you need to spend time and money for something else more urgently.
Besides, even a single phase motor can give excellent performances in conjuction of savvy use of the gearbox.
Learn to use that first.

Last edited:
It may seem a mess to you because the wires are not ordered, coherently colored or labeled, but there is no guarantee that they ever were. Perhaps the connectors or other elements appear to be in a poor state, but it is perfectly possible that everything works as intended.

The buttons are most likely start and stop for the motor contractors, in two directions, and maybe the for coolant pump.
If you cannot make sense of it, you will need to probe all connections and draw a diagram, or try to find the original diagagram and most likely y you will understand, of course if you have a modicum if electrical knowledge. If you don't, I recommend that you let someone else work on it.

Personally I do not suggest that you place the car ahead of the horse and start buying niw See first what really goes on when fully using the machine for your purposes. It may happen that you need to spend time and money for something else more urgently.
Besides, even a single phase motor can give excellent performances in conjuction of savvy use of the gearbox.
Learn to use that first.
I do have a fair amount of electrical knowledge, and that's the exact reason why at this point I feel I should either gut the existing panel and rebuild it, or switch to a VFD. The components present in the panel are very obviously not original, and much of the wiring that has been installed by a previous owner is of a much smaller gauge than is acceptable for a 110V motor running at 14 amps. Plus the two solid metal jumpers installed in place of fuses are completely unacceptable. The wiring is not overly complex, but in a situation where I am already expecting to rebuild the panel, honestly the creature comforts of a VFD seem like a no brainer.

I would suggest a look at dealerselectric dot com for deals. I bought a combo with a teco jnev and one horse motor. I later bought another combo this time with a teco 510 vfd. Ulma Doctor helped me through the first one on my mill. Teco helped me tweak my settings on the second one over the phone. That assistance was invaluable. I couldn't have gotten a better deal by buying the off brand stuff either. Not to say that stuff doesn't work, but when I was clinging tightly to my wallet I was tickled to find an option on name brand vfds . That outfit might have a deal that fits your need, if so you'll like the price.

Looks like they have a couple of options in the $500 neighborhood on two horsepower motor and vfd packages. That sounds like a pretty good deal, but I would love to see someone find you a better deal. It would make my inner cheapskate rejoice

Thank you for the video! Nice to see at least a couple of these machines exist out in the wild. Question for you, what did you find all the buttons on the front control panel do? I've been puzzling over it since I can't find a manual specifically for the Shenwai, and it seems like every manufacturer had a different button configuration.
there is a stop, a a start, and a jog button on the front panel. i'm also using the OEM apron switch for on/off function

I do not have a manual for a 900-B, but I do have a manual for a 900-GH. Would that be at all helpful to you?

Jack

Hey everyone, sorry to bring it back from the dead but since it's relevant to this machine I figured it should go here as well. I've been slowly taking everything apart just to clean all the gunk out, seems like someone used a lot of grease instead of proper lubricants for the machine. Well I was working on the saddle assembly tonight and realized that the rear way surface for the saddle looks... well, terrible to be honest. I don't even think it's wear because the rear way on the bed is in good condition, this just looks like it was never finish machined.
IMG_20240104_173815.jpg

Also, yeah that is a casting flaw that is a hole through the surface and into the cross slide screw area. The front way surface on the saddle looks as I would expect:
IMG_20240104_174243.jpg

Has anyone else seen this kind of thing on these Asian lathes or did I just get a really crummy example? Wondering if there's anything I should do to try and clean it up because I imagine this can't be good for accuracy. Replace the saddle with a new one from Grizzly? I know the front way does most of the work when cutting, but jeez.

I'm having problems identifying things in that first pic.
Can you do other angles, and also a little further out to see what area you are zooming in on?

Back