New Charter Oak 12Z on the way

Well, it's here. I got the sides of the crate off, and put the wheels on the stand. The stand is ~34" tall. I remember asking for 39, but maybe they thought I was meaning the height of the mill table. With the taller base it should put the handwheels just a bit lower than the PMs. Should be OK. Not going to get any more done until the weekend or maybe Friday night. I need to get the shop hoist out and see if I can lift this thing high enough to get it on its stand at the 1/2T setting.

Proof I received it. More later. :)

IMG_0433.jpg

Hi
Looking good, it is going to be a good weekend, me think's :rubbinghands:

That thing looks *****in in black congrats! Close up pics of the ways please when you get a chance.

That thing looks *****in in black congrats! Close up pics of the ways please when you get a chance.

Will do. Upon inspection they appear to be ground. Not too smooth, finish feels about right. should hold oil well.

Depends on the stand. I built my stand at 28" over all height. The mill alone measures 60-61" above the stand to the top of the motor max z. The table is 9.75" above the stand. I was shooting for about 40" off the floor to the vise for comfort in working.

Hi maker of things. I am also 5'11" and the table of my new mill is 35" using the 25" base that came with it, but I have to bend my knees or my back to reach the front handwheel and feels uncomfortable. Are you OK with the height of yours?.....I guess I will be a lot better with at least 4 more inches.

My stand that I ordered with my mill stands at 34" high. IIRC, Jon says the mill table is 9" above the bottom of the base. That should be about right for me. I had Co add 4" of height to my stand when I ordered it.

Hi maker of things. I am also 5'11" and the table of my new mill is 35" using the 25" base that came with it, but I have to bend my knees or my back to reach the front handwheel and feels uncomfortable. Are you OK with the height of yours?.....I guess I will be a lot better with at least 4 more inches.
It doesn't feel bad to me, but I am using my mill manually until I ever get around to starting the conversion to cnc, which is what I bought the mill for. If you are planning to stay manual you would be much better served utilizing Bill's experience.

Bill, what's the holdup? You had your new machine a whole day before me, those chips won't make themselves.:))

It doesn't feel bad to me, but I am using my mill manually until I ever get around to starting the conversion to cnc, which is what I bought the mill for. If you are planning to stay manual you would be much better served utilizing Bill's experience.

Bill, what's the holdup? You had your new machine a whole day before me, those chips won't make themselves.:))

Apparently he's sewing a quilt or hemming his dress or something. ;-)

So I rented a 2T hoist (a friend provided the pick'em up truck) and had the mill just far enough off the pallet to slide it out when I noticed that the boom was twisted off-center and the hoist was sitting on only two wheels! So I quickly put the mill down on the floor of the garage (mild thump, hope I didn't hurt anything). and had to use a prybar to move the mill out of the way for now. ****** doesn't even begin to describe my mood at that point.

So last night I bought a 2T hoist from a vendor on FleBay and should have it mid-next week. Until then, she (mill) is sitting forlornly on the garage floor in a corner. She looks pretty sad. I knew buying a machine this size was going to be trouble, but I guess I underestimated just how much.

After reading Jon's lathe thread I'm now thinking that a larger lathe could be more trouble than it's worth. But I may change my mind after I cool off a bit. :)

Back