New Charter Oak 12Z on the way

I just realize you are in the very same situation I was a few days ago, congratulation for the new mill. I was also looking for the Charter Oak before I purchased mine. It looks great and was interesting the idea of the custom base. Now that I have mine assembled....I think I would like it a little bit higher. I will try it first and see what happens.
As I told you before it is a heavy machine.....I spent two days thinking and wondering and finally I got it in place...it is quite a work!!....but very regarding. Looking forward to see yours on place.

Depends on the stand. I built my stand at 28" over all height. The mill alone measures 60-61" above the stand to the top of the motor max z. The table is 9.75" above the stand. I was shooting for about 40" off the floor to the vise for comfort in working.

Wow. I'm going to be close to 90" at max extension. I doubt I'll be there very frequently, if ever (maybe a pic for the family album).

This next week or two should be interesting...

EDIT: I may have to make some outriggers for this stand because if they didn't widen it some it may be too narrow for the height of this whole rig.

Wow. I'm going to be close to 90" at max extension. I doubt I'll be there very frequently, if ever (maybe a pic for the family album).

This next week or two should be interesting...

EDIT: I may have to make some outriggers for this stand because if they didn't widen it some it may be too narrow for the height of this whole rig.

I have heard some tall tales in my time but 90 inches did you misplace a decimal point or something? :yikes:

Ooops. 60" of machine height plus 39" of table height.

I must say the black paint looks super sharp, most machines tend to have dull or odd colors IMO.

LOL... Fair enough. :lmao:

Not sure how far I'll get (with the setup, pics, etc.) as I'm still a little nervous about a machine this size. I don't have a backhoe or forklift or tractor to lift this thing. Just a 1-ton HF shop crane. So I'm going to get a perspective on the size of this thing and try to figure out how I'm going to get this on it's stand that is taller, +4", than standard. When I asked for the custom height I measured my tool box lower that my PM25 sits on and thought that would be a good height. I've only gotten one pic of this machine from a friend here and I didn't realize just how much bigger this thing is than my 25. You can stop laughing now coolidge... ;)

Anyway, I've had a bunch of personal msgs and post here from people wanting to see this thing. I asked my friend a couple of days ago if I could post a pic of his, but he hasn't responded (he did say he's been busy) so I'm going to post it here just so people can get a perspective. This one is on a short stand so he can reach it from a wheelchair but I think you can get an idea of the size of this thing.

If I can get this thing set up, when I finally do buy that G4003g or PM1340gt it should be a piece of cake. Maybe.

View attachment 84488

Greg's mill

Thank you for your comments on the mill. I have been in research and shopping mode and just started to review the CO mill so it has been very helpful to read and see some additional details. I was curious about this base shown in the picture you posted. Is there another link or source where I could get a better look? Storage is at a premium in my little shop so I would be interested in building storage into the base like this one.

Greg built that base himself. I posted that pic just so others could see the machine. I suspect Greg will post more pics as he gets his shop set up. I hope so anyway. :)

Last edited:
Back