New Enco 12 x36

Put a junction box in the ceiling and drop a wire down to the lathe. No wire on floor, no mess, works great.

Pushing equipment against the wall in some cases makes it harder to use and maintain.

A table saw, for instance, belongs squarely in the middle of a room.

I keep coming back to the center of the work room (12x24) section of the shop. But it would also make sense to have the 30x60 steel work table in the middle of the room. So, I'm still thinking about a wall location. Just not finding one easily without major reorg of wall stuff. I bought 20A twist lock items for a drop cord, so I can go either way. Steel table if right in the pic. If I swap places I would probably have to raise that shelf and for sure re-locate all the bolt bins. Left wall is full with peg board, 48" work bench and 72" bench with the 9x20 on top.

12x36_012.jpg

12x36_012.jpg

Just food for thought here Chris, everyone has their own preference but I would rather have the workbench in the middle and the lathe against the wall.

My main workbenches are mounted to the floor and walls along the front of my shop with my toolbox in the middle. These get used a lot for general repairs of whatever I am working on.

That said, my heavy duty welding table which is 36"x50" is located so I can get around it 360 degrees. This is a very nice option when welding on a large item so you can reposition rather than having to keep repositioning the part/piece. I also wheel my welding table over across from one of my solid mounted workbenches when I rebuild a tranny as it is nice to have the workbench and then simply turn around to the other bench for the transmision rebuild. The ability to move the one table around is a nice feature.

Just a thought.

Just food for thought here Chris, everyone has their own preference but I would rather have the workbench in the middle and the lathe against the wall.

My main workbenches are mounted to the floor and walls along the front of my shop with my toolbox in the middle. These get used a lot for general repairs of whatever I am working on.

That said, my heavy duty welding table which is 36"x50" is located so I can get around it 360 degrees. This is a very nice option when welding on a large item so you can reposition rather than having to keep repositioning the part/piece. I also wheel my welding table over across from one of my solid mounted workbenches when I rebuild a tranny as it is nice to have the workbench and then simply turn around to the other bench for the transmision rebuild. The ability to move the one table around is a nice feature.

Just a thought.

Thinking along those lines. The steel bench is from an old trans shop too LOL. I have a motor to pull down (in the Mustang) and maybe mine too, so a centered work table is looking more like the ticket. It's that snowball thing - move this here, now I have to move that there and this thing doesn't fit...

What I think will work, before getting out the tape measure and doing a verification on floor space:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's that snowball thing - move this here, now I have to move that there and this thing doesn't fit...

What I think will work, before getting out the tape measure and doing a verification on floor space:

That is no kidding. My shop was in pretty good shape before ordering the new machinery but then trying to not lose any more space to equipment than necessary I ended up moving about every piece of equipment in my shop less my two permanently mounted workbenches and my toolbox. Everything else was fair game.

I will admit though now after a week of having my shop all put back together I do like it better this way. It seems to "flow" better.

P.S. Chris, I always enjoy looking at pictures of your shop. I really like it.

Thanks very much for the compliment. Yes, change can be good - makes you think through things and try something fresh.

Change is not good when it's your carb calibration -or something- on the last race of the year (stupid old Ford). The drawing above does kinda leave out the incidentals that really chew up space - the grandkid's 4 wheelers, minibikes, the street tires for the Falcon, lol, etc, etc. Everything seems to gravitate to Papa's shop for fixing and/or perpetual storage. Ha- the answer! Park the race car in the shop for service, put all the 4 wheelers, mower, etc in the race trailer.

Thanks very much for the compliment. Yes, change can be good - makes you think through things and try something fresh.

Change is not good when it's your carb calibration -or something- on the last race of the year (stupid old Ford). The drawing above does kinda leave out the incidentals that really chew up space - the grandkid's 4 wheelers, minibikes, the street tires for the Falcon, lol, etc, etc. Everything seems to gravitate to Papa's shop for fixing and/or perpetual storage. Ha- the answer! Park the race car in the shop for service, put all the 4 wheelers, mower, etc in the race trailer.

Been there done that. For years when we would get back from the races the sand toys would go into the shop for prep for the next race(s) and the ATV's and dirt bikes would go into the trailer, then put the trailer in storage. Sucked but didn't know what else to do, we were busting at the seams and I wouldn't let anything sit outside and I wasn't going to go back into debt for another home after getting ours paid off.

Now we have sold the sand toys (race toys), sold the ATV's, dirt bikes and snowmobiles. The only things we have left is out Jeep and Harleys. No more doing the motorsports shuffle between trailer and shop. I miss the racing but don't miss the shuffling. I also don't miss the dent that racing left in my wallet.:pondering:

Yea, that racin' thing kind wears on the finances. However - if I may toot my horn a bit - there's only been about 3 races this year that I haven't at least partially paid for the race day.

So after many hours slaving over a hot laptop with the Visio, I just kicked some equipment out of the room and parked it here. Moved the mill to the other corner and put the bolt buckets in the mill spot. Moving the mill forced the extension of it's 240v line, but I decided that the new lathe and the mill will share that line and save the cost of 75' of wire and another breaker. The press, metal saw and drill press are bunched in a corner in the other room. And, the work room has a better "feel" to it. More maker-space feeling. Oil is draining out of the headstock and the last no-lathe item is to weld some bracing under that steel table top to get the oil canning out of it. Well, after I put new casters on the welding cart. (stupid cheapie ball bearings) I hay-wired the power cord and ran the lathe for a few seconds to see how the controls worked. Had to run to Homer's House to get a proper 4" box cover to mount the lockout power switch, so I'll finish that tonight. Is it "DIY redneck" to have your welder cart up on blocks?

12x36_locationFinal.jpg

12x36_locationFinal.jpg

Last edited:
Chris, that looks great. Your right it looks like it "flows" better with the lathe and mill next to each other.

As far as the welding cart being up on blocks, just tell people it is in for a "pit stop".

Now let's see some chips flying off of that new lathe.:impatient:

Not much to report other than some self etch primer with a bit of Granite Gray Rustolem and that it's finally up off the floor. I'll get it moved to it home spot tonight, if there is any spare time.

12x36Stand_009.jpg

12x36Stand_010.jpg
I really like your lathe congratulations enjoy//

12x36Stand_009.jpg

12x36Stand_010.jpg

Got the power all squared away last night. They make such a cute couple don't you think. I used to think that a 12x36 would be a good complement to the mill/drill but now it looks kinda small.

12x36_013.jpg

Messy mess - got the gear box cleaned out. Lots of paper towels and then vacuumed it out with the shop vac. Really hard to get my hands down in there very much. A pair of vinyl gloves didn't stand a chance against those gears. I found a hard drive magnet with a flat back mount and just laid that in the bottom of the box to catch any future shavings. I doubt it moves and if it does it's well below any gears. Not even a 1/4" thick. The new ISO 68 oil is nice and clear, much better to look at - and smell - than the near gallon of oil that came out. My grand son said the old oil looked like a gallon jug of sweet tea from the BBQ shack. I left the lid off, set the lathe on 70 RPM and bumped it over. Be assured that splash lubrication does indeed work and actually works quite well. [insert 30 minutes of clean up here].

12x36_014.jpg

I'll see what I can get out of the lower gear box tonight, maybe. Not sure about TTC (Time To Chips) as I'd like to clean as much of the mechanics as I can, including pulling apart the cross slide and maybe even the apron.

12x36_013.jpg

12x36_014.jpg

Back