New Enco 12 x36

Looks like some nice progress Chris. Personally, I think the two pieces of equipment compliment each other perfectly. Bigger is not always better, especially when the needs don't justify it. I would much rather have the space and the equipment just big enough to get the tasks done. That said, the mill and lathe I have are probably larger than I really need for the majority of my work.

The mill is a good tool. A 9x49V with square ways would be gooder. I did order some new feet (same ones as on the lathe) for the mill to replace the DIY feet I made for it. I have never been able to really dial it in, and now it sits in what is likely the most level spot in the whole shop. Some truly adjustable feet will help. I want to get the lathe gear boxes clean ASAP so I can run it a while. I was not able to stretch the belts another .050 or so to get the pulley back on the drive with the belts on the low speed pulleys. Hopefully the belts will relax a bit after running a while at 1400 RPM.

You may even want to entertain the thought of putting a better quality belt(s) on the lathe. I did on my previous lathe after about a month of using it and it was like a completely different machine. My new lathe (PM1340GT) chewed up the OEM belt within the first couple of hours and even though it was a fairly quiet machine, after installing a NAPA (Gates) belt, it was even more quiet and smooth. Plus it did allow the motor to sit a little further out which allowed easier pulley speed changes compared to the OEM belt.

You may even want to entertain the thought of putting a better quality belt(s) on the lathe. I did on my previous lathe after about a month of using it and it was like a completely different machine. My new lathe (PM1340GT) chewed up the OEM belt within the first couple of hours and even though it was a fairly quiet machine, after installing a NAPA (Gates) belt, it was even more quiet and smooth. Plus it did allow the motor to sit a little further out which allowed easier pulley speed changes compared to the OEM belt.

Mike,

Did you ever consider the "Fenner" type belts? I installed one on an Atlas QC54 I had some time back and was really impressed with the reduction in vibration. I've recently started getting some odd finishes on my lathe and am entertaining trying them again and verifying the preload on my spindle bearings. I'm going to do the bearings first since their there already and if that doesn't do it then the belts are next so I'll know what actually did the trick.

Got the oil changed in the lower gear box last night. That wasn't much of an issue. I made a trough from some scrap .030 aluminum sheet and use that to direct the flow into a drain pan. The saddle was more fun. I drained out what little was in there, then started adding in new. Misread the amount, didn't see anything change in the sight glass and put nearly a quart in there. Hey, it's raining oil. :)) Well, at least that helped flush out the saddle. Lets try a pint. The sight glass on the saddle must be clogged as it does not show the new oil level - the old brown oil is stuck in the sight glass.

I should be ready to do some run/break in on the lathe speeds, so I'll see what that does for the belts. HF advertises a link belt that gets good reviews. I'll have to clip a coupon and try one if the local store stocks them. 5' of link belt for $25 is a pretty good deal.

Exploded view of the compound. After looking at this, I'll be taking the cross slide apart to get all the goo out of it. I'm glad I did the cross as the gib was put in with the roughest side facing the slide Vs so it needs a little 220 grit work on the surface plate. The other side is smooth - well, China smooth - but the notch in the gib to catch the rear adjustment screw is cut to put the bad side out. Might just take a little bite out of the other side and clean it up a bit. The tool post bushing was also pretty nasty/rusty. For any adjustments I'm referring to the Grizzly G4003 manual.

12x36_CompoundRest.jpg

12x36_CompoundRest.jpg

Got the cross back together. Thought I better do it before I forgot where the parts went. A close look at the gib showed that it for sure was in "backwards", meaning the rough side faced the slide. I took a few minutes to smooth that side on the surface plate with WD-40 and a sheet of 220 wet dry. Went back in easier and after some adjustment the slide feels pretty smooth.

It's still here, just other things are in the way of working on the lathe. I'm trying to get the hot rod ready for our local Cruise Night this Saturday. Got the carbs back working again but the hood is still in sanded primer. Have paint, need time for a quick spray.
FalconHood.jpg

I did manage to get some tooling using the Grizzly 10% off coupon.
LatheTools.jpg

Upper left, clockwise:
Tool holder with MT2 bore so I can use some of my 9x20 tooling
Cutoff holder and blade
Threading tool, just because
Knurling set - thought I'd try these since they are cheaper than the full holder
MT3-MT2 adapter for the tail stock, also to use some of the 9x20 tooling. Promptly cut off the tang so I only lose 3/4" of tail stock travel.

Now for the bummer - the new BXA holders will not fit on the BXA post supplied on the lathe. I did not have time to do a full investigation but they stop about .25 down on the post where there is a little bit of a lip on the post mounting faces. Only the holders supplied with the lathe fit. Since the dimensions for BXA tool holders are pretty standard, I'm thinking the post is at fault. If I can prove that with some measurements, I'll hit Enco up for a replacement. The alternative would be to lightly mill the holder faces of the post.

FalconHood.jpg

LatheTools.jpg

Nice score on the tooling Chris. Keep us up to date on what you discover on the toolholders/toolpost.

Hi
One nice lathe must get back to my lathe, had it a year but not up & runing yet, no time.
This is the problem with old lathe's, looking for parts & bits.:pondering:

I would not buy the lathe, off the photo on there web site ??????, but your's looks good.

More photos as you go. Nice.

Back