New Grizzly G0796 Mill For $4750?

The G0704 seems to be a popular machine to CNC. My reason for asking is I currently do not own a mill. I want to buy a mill either dedicated CNC out of the box or do a conversion to CNC. Although it will initially be for hobby, I also have in the back of my mind using it to start a business when I retire. If you could comment on the following I and probably others would benefit from your comments:
1. What you estimate it would have cost to CNC the 0796
2. What you estimate it would cost to CNC the 0704 (even though you still own a few parts)?
3. Why you'll go with Mach 3 even though Mach 4 is available?
4. Why do a conversion vs just buying a true CNC machine out of the box.

John.

Hi John:

I would be happy to comment on these excellent questions. Now gentlemen, these are merely opinions, no doubt they conflict with someone else's opinions which makes neither opinion correct. Please feel free to give your own opinions in addition to mine.

1. The cost of the retrofit to CNC for the G0796 I calculate at approximately $6,150. Add to that a computer, real 25 conductor parallel cable, keyboard, mouse and monitor (touch screen preferably) if you do not already have those items. This broken down is $1500 for the Automation Technology CNC kit, $1500 for the X axis ballscrew (and this is losing 1 inch because the ballscrews out there are for 48 inch tables, $1200 for y axis ballscrew, $1900 for the knee (many will not want to CNC their knee), $200 for a yoke. This assumes you can machine all the brackets to install the motors yourself. If you only have one mill, you may have to buy those or take a huge amount of time and several tries taking the machine apart and putting it back together over and over until they are right. Removing the table, saddle and the knee on a Bridgeport clone is not a trivial matter.

2. The cost of the retrofit to CNC for the G0704 I calculate at approximately as high as $2200 and as low as $550 depending on what you want the mill to be able to do. Also add the computer and peripherals as above if you do not already have them. This broken down is as follows: The Automation Technologies kit at the high end $1500 and the low end $500 depending on how much power and speed and control and precision you want at the ball screw. $700 for the G0704 ballscrew kit for all three axes with brackets from Automation Technologies or no additional cost using the original lead screws (An additional $100 would add anti backlash nuts for the ACME screws which actually work great.

3. Mach3 is more for individual users and I am familiar with it, it is easy to install, easy to run and does what I need it to do. It is also cheaper. I am a cheapskate. Mach4 (what little I know of it) is more for OEM's and propeller heads, I want to make parts not fiddle with a new interface. I can always upgrade later.

4. Converted CNC's are true CNC's. I cannot buy a dedicated CNC machine of the caliber and ability I want for $3500 which is about what I will have into the G0704 when I am done. I also will have to compromise something in a way I do not want to compromise if I buy a CNC machine already built by someone else. But by far the most important reason for doing it myself is that I will know everything about servicing the machine. If I buy a machine put together by someone else I will have no idea how to repair it when it breaks,,,,and it WILL break. Service calls are horribly expensive and you never know how much it will be until they show up.

Hope that helps John

Barry

Hi John:

I would be happy to comment on these excellent questions. Now gentlemen, these are merely opinions, no doubt they conflict with someone else's opinions which makes neither opinion correct. Please feel free to give your own opinions in addition to mine.

1. The cost of the retrofit to CNC for the G0796 I calculate at approximately $6,150. Add to that a computer, real 25 conductor parallel cable, keyboard, mouse and monitor (touch screen preferably) if you do not already have those items. This broken down is $1500 for the Automation Technology CNC kit, $1500 for the X axis ballscrew (and this is losing 1 inch because the ballscrews out there are for 48 inch tables, $1200 for y axis ballscrew, $1900 for the knee (many will not want to CNC their knee), $200 for a yoke. This assumes you can machine all the brackets to install the motors yourself. If you only have one mill, you may have to buy those or take a huge amount of time and several tries taking the machine apart and putting it back together over and over until they are right. Removing the table, saddle and the knee on a Bridgeport clone is not a trivial matter.

2. The cost of the retrofit to CNC for the G0704 I calculate at approximately as high as $2200 and as low as $550 depending on what you want the mill to be able to do. Also add the computer and peripherals as above if you do not already have them. This broken down is as follows: The Automation Technologies kit at the high end $1500 and the low end $500 depending on how much power and speed and control and precision you want at the ball screw. $700 for the G0704 ballscrew kit for all three axes with brackets from Automation Technologies or no additional cost using the original lead screws (An additional $100 would add anti backlash nuts for the ACME screws which actually work great.

3. Mach3 is more for individual users and I am familiar with it, it is easy to install, easy to run and does what I need it to do. It is also cheaper. I am a cheapskate. Mach4 (what little I know of it) is more for OEM's and propeller heads, I want to make parts not fiddle with a new interface. I can always upgrade later.

4. Converted CNC's are true CNC's. I cannot buy a dedicated CNC machine of the caliber and ability I want for $3500 which is about what I will have into the G0704 when I am done. I also will have to compromise something in a way I do not want to compromise if I buy a CNC machine already built by someone else. But by far the most important reason for doing it myself is that I will know everything about servicing the machine. If I buy a machine put together by someone else I will have no idea how to repair it when it breaks,,,,and it WILL break. Service calls are horribly expensive and you never know how much it will be until they show up.

Hope that helps John

Barry
Hi John:

Thanks for the input Barry.
Regarding Mach 3 vs 4, I was leery of going with 3 since 4 is the 'new' deal, and Im not wanting to adopt an old technology.

Regarding converted CNC vs buying a dedicated CNC, I total agree with you concept of 'knowing how it's made' and being able to fix issues yourself.

Seems like the the G0704 is the mill to CNC. There are tons of online content written on the subject. However, one thing I've noticed - all the articles, videos, etc are 2-3 years old. Is the G0704 still the machine to buy with intent of CNCing today?? In other words, it's November 2015; are there newer models out that would be better candidates to CNC ??

Hi John:

Yes, all the new mills are candidates for CNC conversion. Consider with the G0704, everybody and their dog has already learned and presented all the hard lessons people converting all the new mills are about to learn.

Have fun.

Barry

I think you should shop around for screws for the big machine, I don't know where you look but a set of ground Hiwin screws for X AND Y AND YOKE is about 1500, I just finished my cnc conversion on an Acer clone, 9x42 and I did the whole thing with brushless AC servos including the machine price for about 3500, using a 200 dollar BoB from cnc4pc, servos are almost 3hp at the screws :) I used Allen Bradley servos and drives, used of course cause normally they are like 2 grand each

Just wanted to say hello and say that it was this thread that originally led me to this site while searching for information on the Grizzly G0796 mill. I ended up placing an order for one a month or two ago when Grizzly had the military discount going on and just today I heard from Jennifer at the PA location that my mill has arrived at the Springfield location in Missouri and is awaiting me to pick it up which I won't be able to do till the 18th or 19th of this month due to being on a job assignment at Fort Bragg in NC.

This will be the first mill that I've ever operated, but I'm really looking forward to learning on it. I purchased a Grizzly G0709 lathe earlier this summer and I'm thinking my next machine purchase will be a horizontal band saw.

I do have a question about the mill... is the back end of the ram actually able to be used for mounting any attachments? It appears (in the Grizzly website pictures) that there's some kind of mounting flange on the back end. What words or phrases would I need to search for to learn more about what attachments would be available?

I do have a question about the mill... is the back end of the ram actually able to be used for mounting any attachments? It appears (in the Grizzly website pictures) that there's some kind of mounting flange on the back end. What words or phrases would I need to search for to learn more about what attachments would be available?

There are only two attachments for the back of the ram that I know of, one is a slotting attachment for cutting keyways, the other is a rotary fead attachment that is very rare and is used for circular interpolation of holes manually. No doubt there are other attachments I have never heard of.

Barry

Barry,

Did you have any trouble using the lifting eye located in the topside of the ram to lift your G0796? I've noticed from reading through the manual that it says to use a pair of lifting slings slung under the ram on opposite sides of the column.

Barry,

Did you have any trouble using the lifting eye located in the topside of the ram to lift your G0796? I've noticed from reading through the manual that it says to use a pair of lifting slings slung under the ram on opposite sides of the column.

I had no problem picking it up with a lift ring as you can see if you watch my video series on unloading the machine. Yes, that is the correct clamping kit for the G0796. If it does not fit, send it back.

Barry

was the mill ever converted to CNC, if so is there a link to that process?
Thanks, Joe

Back