New Grizzly G0796 Mill For $4750?

Actually it is not. The "30 day rule applies". The vendor must provide a projected shipping date that they have a reasonable belief they can achieve, and then are required to provide the customer with an update when they miss that date (or when 30 days expire). That update must provide a new shipping date. If the vendor is unable to promise a date ("indefinite shipment date"), than the law requires them to cancel the order after an additional 30 days unless they contact the customer (or vice versa) and approve continuing to wait.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/bus...s-guide-ftcs-mail-internet-or-telephone-order

Some people think there is a law against charging credit cards until shipment occurs, but that is untrue. Most credit card agencies, however, make that requirement of vendors who use their services.

Matt also sells the 949TS and 949TV, Taiwan machines made in the same factory as Sharp/Acra. If you dig in the couch cushion and find an extra 3 or 4 thousand dollars, it would be money well spent. :D

If you could live with 24" X travel (vs the 29" of the full size), than the 935TS might work for you (and is reasonably priced for a Taiwanese machine).

At this rate, it seems that the Grizzly G0796 is following the pattern of the 755 when it was first introduced... didn't actually become available until the next year...

I am so coming over to your house and tossing your couch when you are not looking!

Coolidge: Yes, I need the work envelope and the idea of paying more for less goes against my grain.
JimDawson: I have been shopping the Portland Craigslist site for weeks. What I see is old tired machines that have to be rebuilt for as much or more than the Grizzly Unicorn machine.
Tmarks11: Thanks for that tidbit. Maybe I will stop contacting Grizzly to see if they give a damn about the law. Here is a nice steak for the pretty puppy, now where is that couch? I did say I am a teacher and my vow of poverty keeps me from spending "an extra 3 or 4 thousand" (Good gracious, typing that gave me angina.

I have a perfectly good G0704 mill and plenty of projects to keep me busy. I am just whining I guess. I want what I paid for.

Thanks guys, a lot. Just being able to vent to someone is helping.

Barry

Unfortunate that grizzly is still tied to the "big annual print catalog" model. If there is any chance of the new machinery showing up sometime during the next year, they stick it in the catalog. Then all of us poor schleps who are drooling over the new tools are forced to wait months and months to get our grubby paws on them, because they aren't shipping until nearer the end of the year.

You would hope the delay is because grizzly is trying to get the QC on a new assembly line up to standards, but the experience of the "early adopters" of the G0755 showed that wasn't really true.

Good Morning everyone!

I had a call from Grizzly customer service last night but it was too late to call them since they are on the right hand side of the map. Returning the call this morning I was told that the first shipment of G0796 milling machines has arrived at the Springfield Missouri Grizzly warehouse. They have cut one from the herd and marked it with a B. They are going to do an interstate transfer to satisfy some jerk in Washington that calls them twice a month "just to check on my mill". They are also going to open the crate in Washington and inspect the machine thoroughly. I asked them to leave the crate open so I can inspect it as well. After they arrange for the Interstore transfer which I assume means waiting until the trailer is full before having it hauled to Washington, it will take a couple of weeks to notify me that it is ready to pick up in Bellingham.

So, it looks like the milling machine valve has been turned on and G0796 machines will now start streaming into the States. It might be a good time to lay down your dollars.

Thanks, it is a very good day.

Barry

The Unicorn has landed Gentlemen!!

Yesterday I went to Grizzly in Bellingham and picked up the G0796 milling machine. It was on a pallet with the crate removed just as I had requested and I was invited to inspect the machine before they loaded it onto my trailer. The machine rode well down the freeway and we made it to the house without incident. Getting the machine off the trailer was the only real concern I had regarding the entire move. I had spent the last couple days building a gantry to support my chain hoist. There is a U-Haul store I normally use and I went there after hours to measure how wide the trailer was while I was building the gantry. The trailer that I measured turned out to be unavailable and so I had to get a wider trailer making it necessary to rebuild the upper part of the gantry to make it wider. Please note that in the photos the diagonal braces at the top of the gantry had not yet been added, since the gantry is adjustable for height I needed to determine how high the gantry would be with the chain hoist in place over the mill while it was on the trailer.

So the gantry worked great after leveling it and I was able to lift the milling machine off the trailer with my wimpy 1 ton chain hoist and drive the trailer out from under it. Once it was on the ground I placed a piece of a Maple log I had just quartered across the doorway to my shop and using a come along and two hold down ratchet straps I pulled the mill into the shop. I was so exhausted that I didn't even look at the machine at all, just closed the door and went in the house.

The machine is here in my hands. I inspected it rather thoroughly at the warehouse and it appears to be everything I had wanted it to be. I will be doing an extremely thorough review on my Youtube channel "The Crusty Old Machinist" I invite you all to come and see it there.

Barry Young

IMG_0778.jpg

Last edited:
You can see my First Looks report on my new G0796 mill at:

Hope you enjoy it, it is a great machine guys.

Barry

Very nice Barry, thank you. I look forward to the pics of "an old guy unloading this thing by myself", because I may someday have to do the same thing. :)

Back