New Grizzly G0796 Mill For $4750?

Hello Mr. Miller:

That will be in part 4 of this video. I have not released it because one of the guys who was here is still sending me photos he took of the unloading process.

Essentially I built a wooden Gantry crane from old 4X4's I had lying about doing nothing. It worked flawlessly as you will see.

I will get it out just as soon as I can.

Thank you.

Barry

Don't rush on my account. I'm not going anywhere. :)

Hey Barry thank you for sharing you new machine. I am in Arizon and looked for a used machine for about 6 months and they were all beat up junk for $5k. I ended up,with a little PM-25 to get started with and will someday end up with a bigger machine like you Big Boys. I figured you have to learn to crawl before you walk... I look forward to seeing the rest of your story. Bill is an anomaly, he has bought more machines than most shops buy in the last two years, I think he may have a little addiction going, but don't say anything I don't want to ruin his fun...:big grin:

Hiya Brooks:
Sharing? Sharing? Um, maybe pictures and some audio. I started with an x2 from Grizzly.

Bill is OK. I understand such addictions all too well.

Barry

Hmmm...maybe I've been talking too much and need to go 'stealth' for a while. :cautious:

Hmmm...maybe I've been talking too much and need to go 'stealth' for a while. :cautious:
EVERY single person reading this forum has a tool addiction. Face it, it is who we are.

I am ashamed to say I have some tools that have never been used, but I really thought I needed them when I bought them...

You know how it goes, just finished building something, and you think... dang, that project would have turned out nice if I had a biscuit jointer... and then never do that kind of project again...

Actually, ashamed might be the wrong emotion... more like PROUD! because I will be ready the next time I do a project like that.... if ever...

Hello Gentlemen:

I paid for my Grizzly G0796 in March of 2015. It is scheduled to show up in the Bellingham WA showroom on July 10. Hopefully that delivery date does not get pushed out again. I will pick it up to save $355.00 on shipping. I live 75 miles from the showroom. The other problem with having a large machine delivered besides the added shipping cost is that the trailer truck will not deliver it to your garage if your garage is on an alley like mine is, they deliver it to the street in front of the address. Even if you pay the extra $40 for the lift gate truck it is delivered to the front of the address. So I would have had to rent a trailer to get the machine from the front of the house to the alley anyway. This is why I decided to go pick the machine up at the warehouse. A guy I know with a tow truck is going to lift it off the trailer for me for $40.00.

I lucked out on the purchase because I also took advantage of Grizzly's 10% off veterans discount. They occasionally have these veterans discounts available. This brought the mill down to an amazing $4275.00 which is the very best price I have seen on a new Bridgeport clone in decades. As WRM and 007 have stated, the mill comes with a DRO that is already installed saving installation labor and expense as well as the expense to buy the DRO itself. Since the mill will be immediately converted to CNC, the DRO is something I can sell for $400-$500 further lowering there price. I had been looking for a used Bridgeport which are plentiful East of the Mississippi but not very common in the Seattle area. Batting zero on the used mills, my wife suggested I buy a new Grizzly because we have been so happy with our 5 other Grizzly machines. The research began and finally the G9902 came up a winner and the plan was to buy it the moment the income tax refund appeared in the bank account. Every day I would go to the Grizzly website and slobber on the G9902. One day the position of the G9902 on the website changed, what could cause such an event? A new mill being introduced maybe? It was! I saw the G0796 mill on the first day it was shown on the Grizzly website and instantly compared it to the G9902. It was a hands down winner because of the 3HP motor, DRO, the Halogen work light, the snazzy white paint that matches my Grizzly metal lathe but most importantly because of the transmission. One problem for me with the G9902 was the funky transmission. I actually made a trip up to Bellingham to examine the transmission in the head of the mill and have always considered it a weak point. It is not like a Bridgeport, which does not mean it is bad, it just means it is different. When I looked the G9902 over in the showroom the transmission did not shift smoothly like a Bridgeport does. The G0796 does have a Bridgeport type transmission which may or may not be better, but it is very possible that it is indeed better.

I have also purchased a 1125 oz/in DC servo 4axis kit from Automation Technologies which will be used to convert the G0796 to CNC. These motors are a little more than twice as powerful as most Bridgeport type conversion motors and should do a spectacular job. This will be my second CNC conversion of a Grizzly milling machine. While waiting for the mill, I have been able to get the system up and running in mock up on the workbench. The actual conversion should be cake.

Another aspect to consider with Grizzly products is the fine customer service and parts availability that come with the mill. If you try to get parts for a Jet mill for example, you will find extremely limited availability stateside. I am not sure about Precision Matthews, but I know Grizzly stocks most of the parts for all their products. When I bought my first Grizzly mill (this will be my third), I found sand in the castings and Grizzly sent me a set of new spindle bearings for free with free shipping. That is pretty good.

From every angle the Grizzly G0796 looks like the best deal out there to me. Enough so to let Grizzly sit on my money for 5 months. A great mill, a great bargain! There will be a complete write up of the mill itself as well as the CNC conversion on my YouTube channel "the Crusty Old Machinist" and perhaps I will send it in to Home Shop Machinist Magazine as well. This will also cover transporting, unloading and uncrating.

Barry Young
CNC Machinist Instructor
Bates Technical College

Barry, can you tell us why you are going with a converted G0796 vs buying a new CNC machine such as a pcnc 1100 or 770, etc. ?? Also what CAD/CAM/Controller software will you be using along with the 1125 oz/in DC servo 4axis kit from Automation Technologies??
Appreciate the reference to your Youtube videos.
John

Barry, can you tell us why you are going with a converted G0796 vs buying a new CNC machine such as a pcnc 1100 or 770, etc. ?? Also what CAD/CAM/Controller software will you be using along with the 1125 oz/in DC servo 4axis kit from Automation Technologies??
Appreciate the reference to your Youtube videos.
John
Hello John:

I have changed my mind. The price of ball screws was ridiculous for a Bridgeport size machine. Instead, I am going to CNC my Grizzly G0704 and keep the G0796 conventional. I already have ball screws for that machine so it will be a close to no dollar conversion. Any parts that are too big to run automatically in the G0704 or run manually in the G0796 can easily be farmed out to my co-worker who has a CNC Bridgeport. I will be using TurboCAD 3D for model development, LazyCAM for toolpathing and Mach3 for controller software with my Gecko Servo drives. Thanks for the comments and questions, keep that coming

Barry

The G0704 seems to be a popular machine to CNC. My reason for asking is I currently do not own a mill. I want to buy a mill either dedicated CNC out of the box or do a conversion to CNC. Although it will initially be for hobby, I also have in the back of my mind using it to start a business when I retire. If you could comment on the following I and probably others would benefit from your comments:
1. What you estimate it would have cost to CNC the 0796
2. What you estimate it would cost to CNC the 0704 (even though you still own a few parts)?
3. Why you'll go with Mach 3 even though Mach 4 is available?
4. Why do a conversion vs just buying a true CNC machine out of the box.

John.

Back