New lathe oil question

the oil in the machine is incredibly clean, no sludge at all in the headstock. probably the University machine shop was pretty good about doing oil changes and other maintenance. the sump tank is at the low line on the sight glass, about 3/16" below the full point. thinking about just topping it up for now...

the oil in the machine is incredibly clean, no sludge at all in the headstock. probably the University machine shop was pretty good about doing oil changes and other maintenance. the sump tank is at the low line on the sight glass, about 3/16" below the full point. thinking about just topping it up for now...
Just my 2 cents worth, If I didn't know when it had been changed last nor what was in it specifically I would make changing it a near future project as opposed to adding to it. I know it is rare but some oils have additives which can cause others to break down, that is why I do not like mixing them. I know there are those who think it all comes from the same place but it doesn't, there are some significant differences between brands.

Just my 2 cents worth, If I didn't know when it had been changed last nor what was in it specifically I would make changing it a near future project as opposed to adding to it. I know it is rare but some oils have additives which can cause others to break down, that is why I do not like mixing them. I know there are those who think it all comes from the same place but it doesn't, there are some significant differences between brands.
you are correct and I knew that when I typed it. thanks for the push.

Back