New lathe oil question

I'm with you on that. got a call back from Lynch Oil. I explained to him what I was doing, and he said he wasn't knowledgeable on machine oils but would have someone else call me.
While the Shell Morlina looks to be a fantastic oil I think any brand name listed equivalent should be more than fine. We're not talking a turbine at 20K RPM or anything crazy like that and not even a CNC machine at 5-6K. It looks like Mobil Velocite No. 6 or Gulfspin 10 are equivalents that are more affordable.

that's what I need. I got 2 operator's manuals with this machine and hadn't looked at the 2nd one until this morning. found these notes from the previous operator. 434182452_975845244256475_1201998942879469399_n.jpgthis lathe was in one of the Florida State University research machine shops for 57 years.

PXL_20240507_123901894.MP.jpg

Don't ya just love it when people write stuff down :)

yes. but it's still all out of date.
Well, what do I know? Most of my oil knowledge comes from racing kart engines, I use tractor oil in my lathe....

Still, it's nice to have some notes, is there anything else in there of use?

John

Well, what do I know? Most of my oil knowledge comes from racing kart engines, I use tractor oil in my lathe....

Still, it's nice to have some notes, is there anything else in there of use?

John
speaking of discontinued oil, I still this left.
mobil 1 MX2T.jpg

Back