New lathe oil question

this thread is quite timely for me. just got a new (to me) Japanese made 14x60. for oiling the headstock gears/spindle bearings and the feed gearbox, there is a Trochoid oil pump driven by the shaft of an idler pulley that tensions the 4 drive belts. there is an oil filter between the tank and pump. this pump pulls oil from a large oil tank at the bottom of the headstock foot and pumps it up to the headstock and into the feed gearbox, thru small tubes to a lot of oiling points. oil is returned from the headstock to the oil tank thru gravity and a large tube, to be recirculated. not an oil splash system.

the 1967 operator's manual specified Shell Tellus oil No. 15. of course, no longer available. Shell still makes a Tellus line but not this item. I think the Tellus No. 15 was SAE 15wt. assume the low viscosity is to get the fluid thru all the small tubing to where it needs to spray. I found a chart that says ISO 32 is equal to SAE 15wt. some of the cross overs I found for the manufacturers spec are Mobil DTE 10 excel 15 and Gulf Harmony AW MF15. the DTE is about 165.00 and the Gulf is 60-70.00 for 5 gallons. any opinions?

View attachment 489229View attachment 489230View attachment 489232
That is sweet, wish mine had a similar system.

this thread is quite timely for me. just got a new (to me) Japanese made 14x60. for oiling the headstock gears/spindle bearings and the feed gearbox, there is a Trochoid oil pump driven by the shaft of an idler pulley that tensions the 4 drive belts. there is an oil filter between the tank and pump. this pump pulls oil from a large oil tank at the bottom of the headstock foot and pumps it up to the headstock and into the feed gearbox, thru small tubes to a lot of oiling points. oil is returned from the headstock to the oil tank thru gravity and a large tube, to be recirculated. not an oil splash system.

the 1967 operator's manual specified Shell Tellus oil No. 15. of course, no longer available. Shell still makes a Tellus line but not this item. I think the Tellus No. 15 was SAE 15wt. assume the low viscosity is to get the fluid thru all the small tubing to where it needs to spray. I found a chart that says ISO 32 is equal to SAE 15wt. some of the cross overs I found for the manufacturers spec are Mobil DTE 10 excel 15 and Gulf Harmony AW MF15. the DTE is about 165.00 and the Gulf is 60-70.00 for 5 gallons. any opinions?

Tellus 15 would have been long before the switch to ISO, so not an ISO 15 oil...I think that happened in the early 1990s if my memory is correct. I found a chart showing old Mobil to new Mobil products that shows the old Tellus 15 being equivalent to Morlina 10. Morlina 10 was renamed Morlina HS10 and then renamed Morlina S2 BL 10. Here's the S2 BL 10 product data sheet...it's an ISO 10 special purpose bearing and circulating oil. Honestly, the description sounds great for a lathe.

Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 10.43.15 PM.png

Last edited:
If it meets the specs it should be fine, many oils come from one supplier and are repackaged by others.

Use whatever you will be able to change on the recommended preventative maintenance schedule.

I don’t have direct experience with Gulf, other than their gasoline, but they have been around a while.

John

Shell Tellus 15 is listed as a Hydraulic ISO 15 oil, so not an SAE 15W oil it is SAE5W. Equivalent would be Mobil DTE10.

Shell Tellus 15 is listed as a Hydraulic ISO 15 oil, so not an SAE 15W oil it is SAE5W. Equivalent would be Mobil DTE10.

There is no current Tellus 15 in production...not for years and years. The current Tellus S2 V15 is entirely different from the Tellus 15 listed in the OP's manual from 1967....before there was ISO standard.

The "Tellus 15" listed in the OP's 1967 manual wasn't an ISO 15 oil...it couldn't be because ISO didn't exist at that point. Shell's own info says the old Tellus 15 became Morlina 10, which is now Morlina S2 BL 10, which is ISO 10.

Mobil DTE 10 isn't an oil, it's a series (Excel series) and the lowest ISO is 15, which is heavier than the Shell product.

It was based on what is listed as cross reference equivalents for Shell Tellus 15 and Morlina 10 specifications. My typing error, ISO10 oil.

Last edited:
It was based on what is listed as cross reference equivalents for Shell Tellus 15 and Morlina 10 specifications. My typing error, ISO10 oil.
The problem there is that the Petroleum Service Company listed ISO 15 oils as equivalent, which is incorrect. This happens a lot when some oils from pre-ISO get cross-referenced, and how I found the Mobil old/new chart. Companies see Tellus 15, assume it's an ISO 15 oil and list the modern ISO 15 equivalent when it's really ISO 10.

For some reason, it seems to happen more with the Tellus line of oils than most others and more with some weights than others.

I called the closest Shell distributer to inquire about the Morlina S2 BL 10. was told they only see it on the computer as S3 and S4. S4 has a zinc additive, S3 specs looked similar to S1, not sure what the difference is there. Amazon has the S2 at 300.00 for 20 liters :oops:. ebay has it for 199.00. still shopping it.

edit: looking at data sheets. the Morlina S3 and S4 are much higher viscosity oils.

Last edited:
I called the closest Shell distributer to inquire about the Morlina S2 BL 10. was told they only see it on the computer as S3 and S4. S4 has a zinc additive, S3 specs looked similar to S1, not sure what the difference is there. Amazon has the S2 at 300.00 for 20 liters :oops:. ebay has it for 199.00. still shopping it.
I avoid any oil with a Zinc and/or ash as they will, over time, sludge up.

I avoid any oil with a Zinc and/or ash as they will, over time, sludge up.
I'm with you on that. got a call back from Lynch Oil. I explained to him what I was doing, and he said he wasn't knowledgeable on machine oils but would have someone else call me.

Back