New Logan 820 (to me)

D. Kent

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just wanted to write the forum hello. I purchased and brought home an 820, in disassembled pieces (I took apart). She was absolutely neglected from a cleanliness perspective, granted the last former owner had it for 20 years and rarely used it, but given the SN indicates 1941, she's seen a lot more use the other 60 years. From my limited machining experience, the ways look to be in ok shape, a flat and indicator will tell the truth, but just trying to get cleaned up enough to be respectable to put back together, clean, and properly lubricated. All the gears look to be in good shape.
As I begin to clean up and tell myself this isn't going to be a restoration project, I have some basic questions.

When I took the motor mount assembly apart, it's apparent to me the support "peg" leg should be secured to the floor (previous owner had nothing secured). I note there are holes in the feet of the legs and I'm curious what you guys may have used to secure your machines to the floor, if anything? At least an anchor bolt on the peg leg? Some red heads to snug up to keep from walking or falling over during a shaker?

Another question is if any of you have found a good source for a rear (back) splash shield? I suppose I could put something on my garage wall behind the lathe to help keep it easy to clean, like a thin sheet of stainless or plastic screwed into the drywall. Just looking for tried and true ideas.

I just pressure washed the single light grey coat of paint layer off the chip pan and legs. The original gunmetal looking blue paint / coating is pretty well adhered, but could use an overcoat- especially the chip pan. From what I've read the Benjamin Moore industrial enamel in black seal is good match? My challenge is when to call it on making pretty and concentrate on just cleaning up to get an accurate test of how well she runs. Yes, I did hear it spin up, but we didn't load it up. The amount of chip I found bound up in the apron and carriage was appalling. Hopefully, not indicative of the wear in the ways, but I shall see.

The machine has just about everything it came with, including the draw bar and collets. Looking forward to putting back together and checking as I go. Just received a black crutch foot boot to use use between the peg leg and the motor bracket.

congratulations from another 820 owner! Got mine almost four years ago and still haven't gotten to pretty. It's a wonderful machine, enjoy it!
Tim

Please, please take photos from every angle and share... looks like I just bought one as well... but it is in dire need of much, much, and I mean, much tender loving care...

I need all the help that I can get.... and wife does not know it... I am going to be in deep, deep doo-doo...

Sorry....

I'm sure it'll be fine. Just take her out for a nice dinner.

John

The wife, not the lathe of course....

Pics are essential!

For a backsplash an oil drip tray from an auto parts store with some appropriate bends and support would work well. I made mine from a large sheet of alu I found at the scrapyard
IMG_20220528_192342.jpg

#wachuko, that's one of my favorite quotes from that movie!

My "peg leg" on my 11" is not secured to the floor, just the weight of the motor assemble holding it. Have not experienced any movement. I used a small section of aluminum sheeting as a backsplash, attached to the wall at the topside and just resting on the chip tray on the bottom.

Back