New Logan 820 (to me)

As to your main bearing take up nut, I have an old Logan 200 spindle that was seriously abused. I set it aside with the thought of checking out the main bearing, just in case it was still usable (bearing still on spindle).

The Logan 200 take up nut looks like it has a 1-3/8 inch x 18 TPI internal thread. Outside diameter is about 2-1/4 inch. If by some chance the your machine uses the same nut, let me know.

TomKro
Thanks TomKro. I'll check it out. I think I can re-use what I have, but would be very interested if an off the shelf spanner nut worked in the originals place.

Minor update, received a box of back gear replacement goodies from Logan. I'm replacing the eccentric shaft bushings and the 28T back gear. The old gear was fairly worn looking. The left hand bushing fits the eccentric fairly well, with a slip fit. The right hand (front) has a bit more slop, but less than the original bushing.

Question: I'm replacing the "latch" key that holds the latch out to engage the back gears and keep them engaged. Mine is so worn the former owner didn't even know it was there and had a work around magnet to wedge the latch in the pulled out position. Has anyone attempted to replace? The pivot pin appears it presses through from one side? I'm wondering how the spring is kept in place. I think mine has been long since gone.

Here's an old thread that includes a sketch of the key:

I have not disassembled one myself, but it appears the pin goes through the shaft. The latch itself appears to hold the spring in place.

TomKro

Thanks for the raising the old thread. I was able to gently tap out the pin. Check out the replacement versus the old one that looks pretty worn. What I can't figure out is what keeps the spring from popping out. I was hoping to see a blind hole in the curved groove that would seat the spring, but no such luck.

Attachments

• 32F1E6E8-B785-46B8-BBDA-88B14AAB691E.jpeg
    32F1E6E8-B785-46B8-BBDA-88B14AAB691E.jpeg
    372.2 KB · Views: 9
Spring is held in simply by the catch.

Ron

Short update as things are slow going until I finish more retaining wall this Fall. I wasn't really happy with the fit up of the backgear Eccentric shaft and oil-less bearings. So, I ordered replacements- what a world of difference in free play, especially in the right hand bearing. This seems consistent with the heavy wear on the smaller 28T gear.

Back