New machinist - need help

Yeah, people really like it when you forge them a steak knife for Christmas, I was actually planning on using some gears to make a tape measure with a dial indicator on it- maybe that kind of gift could convince my dad- thanks!

Hello and welcome,

As noted above you're not the first young person to join here and ask a similar question. Back in the old days we had shop class where you could learn metalworking skills, not sure if your school district offers anything but if they don't you could look into what it would take to get into a program at community college.

That may be a way for your folks to see how serious you are and maybe give a litte space in the garage for your use.

As for benchtop machines, I wouldn't rule them out. There are many folks who do great work with the RF30 mills like I have. They are plentiful and can be had for short money if you are willing to wait for the right deal. But, you can also do a lot of good work with just a lathe, or even a bench grinder and file. If you want to make things really the only limitation is your imagination.

Post a few pictures of the machine you're working on if you can.

John
Hey, Honestly a bench-top would be great- I know you can do great things with not a lot of money (that's kinda my life story), but I'm really looking for the quality and asthetic of and old Bridgeport or Cincinatti, and if i have the money I think i should get it, if there is some obscure benchtop made by bridgeport or something, that'd be awesome!

Yeah, people really like it when you forge them a steak knife for Christmas, I was actually planning on using some gears to make a tape measure with a dial indicator on it- maybe that kind of gift could convince my dad- thanks!
I think I forgot to click the reply button, so this is a reply to what Nutfarmer said:
Good luck. When you finish the repairs maybe use it for repairing items around the house. Everyone thought I was nuts buying my son a jig saw for his birthday when he was in the fourth grade. When some of the family received hand made Christmas Gifts he made with the jig saw the whole attitude changed. If you can find a way that it benefits the rest of the family maybe their perspective might change. All that being said your dad means the best for you and the family.

Are you restoring it in the same garage you plan on putting it in?

I have a G9902 Grizzly, it has a 9x49 table so very similar to a full sized Bridgeport. It's single phase, I bought it used for $2500. It fits in the corner of my shop.
yes I am restoring it in the same garage.

Hey, Honestly a bench-top would be great- I know you can do great things with not a lot of money (that's kinda my life story), but I'm really looking for the quality and asthetic of and old Bridgeport or Cincinatti, and if i have the money I think i should get it, if there is some obscure benchtop made by bridgeport or something, that'd be awesome!
While there are some obscure benchtop machines, and small knee mills I like the fact that many others have the same machine I have and I can follow their lead for modifying and getting the best out of it.

Big machines can be a big commitment and I can understand why your dad might be reluctant to have something the size of a small car permanently placed into the one car garage. When you say you're restoring the Bridgeport that can mean a lot of different things to different folks but if you're doing it right and will make money on it then your dad probably has his answer. At least he knows how big a Bridgeport really is, I don't have space in my one car garage for one with all the other tools I have.

We do have a saying on this forum though that aplies here though "Pictures or it didn't happen".

John

While there are some obscure benchtop machines, and small knee mills I like the fact that many others have the same machine I have and I can follow their lead for modifying and getting the best out of it.

Big machines can be a big commitment and I can understand why your dad might be reluctant to have something the size of a small car permanently placed into the one car garage. When you say you're restoring the Bridgeport that can mean a lot of different things to different folks but if you're doing it right and will make money on it then your dad probably has his answer. At least he knows how big a Bridgeport really is, I don't have space in my one car garage for one with all the other tools I have.

We do have a saying on this forum though that aplies here though "Pictures or it didn't happen".

John
Love the saying- that's hilarious, It's to dark to get good pictures- so thats a great opportunity to link to my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRQdrkmlSnR6GKkkc3jl2eQ, there's plenty of pics in there. also, I know it's helpful to see others with the same machine- but could I see some examples of those obscure bench-tops?

Cars can live outside, few tools can.
I know- and I want to get a pickup, kinda meant to be outside- but the weather here in Texas is having somewhat of a crisis of identity, and decides to have random hailstorms in the middle tornadoes while it's raining acid. unfriendly for cars. very unfriendly for tools.

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said.

All I'll say is it's your dad's house, you need to respect his wishes. That's not to say you can't make your case to him respectfully and logically as you sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders for a 13 year old.

Personally, I have a benchtop mill and it does the tasks that I need. It's essentially a grizzly G0704, just a different brand (Busy Bee Tools is the brand that's sold in Canada). But for the space it takes up (including stand), I could probably swing a Bridgeport of Cincinnati in there. Used mills are like hens teeth around here, so I ended up buying something new. It was still the better part of 4G Canadian (roughly 2900 USD).

Last edited:
Back