New machinist - need help

Im 14 and my parents have a 2 car garage, I am alowed one side that incudes a 4' shelf from the back wall, big sand blaster, miller 252, 1,500lb 6x18 surface grinder, 1,400lb 3x5' base metal lathe, 2x4' base wood lathe, my dads stuff in that side takes up a lot but I still have 8' wide walkway to the back. its better to have just a lathe rather than just a mill. if you want to convince him take everything out of the garage an spend a weekend cleaning and reorganizing, I did that and was alowed to get my metal lathe. Also mention the stuff you could have repaired with a bridgeport or lathe but only if you could, not if you could try. I fix tons of stuff for my parents so they let me get more and more tools. DO NOT WALK INSIDE WITHOUT CLEANING CHIPS OFF YOUR SHOES!, I got grounded from my tools for two weeks.

Hello world,

I've been restoring machines for a little bit now, and am currently working on a Bridgeport series-2 that I'm gonna sell, when I'm done with it I should have a couple thousand dollars to buy my own. The only problem is that I'm Thirteen and my dad is convinced that a mill would be way too big for our garage. First of all, how should I convince my family that it is okay? Second, is there a specific family friendly machine that is compact, single phase but still has sufficient power, and fits my preference of older machines?

Thanks, That's-a-fallacy

PS: before you ask, I have considered bench-top mills, I feel like there aren't any companies that make high quality bench-top tools, and I want a nice one, so long as it's within four or so thousand dollars.
dont get too caught up on the bondo, Ive been fully restoring my Hardinge TR-59 since june of 2021, most of the time is spent on bondo.

Hello world,

I've been restoring machines for a little bit now, and am currently working on a Bridgeport series-2 that I'm gonna sell, when I'm done with it I should have a couple thousand dollars to buy my own. The only problem is that I'm Thirteen and my dad is convinced that a mill would be way too big for our garage. First of all, how should I convince my family that it is okay? Second, is there a specific family friendly machine that is compact, single phase but still has sufficient power, and fits my preference of older machines?

Thanks, That's-a-fallacy

PS: before you ask, I have considered bench-top mills, I feel like there aren't any companies that make high quality bench-top tools, and I want a nice one, so long as it's within four or so thousand dollars.
I was 13 when I walked into metal shop in 7th grade. I knew from that moment on I would love the time spent in the class and I got straight A’s all the way through high school (in metal only :))
Welcome.

Im 14 and my parents have a 2 car garage, I am alowed one side that incudes a 4' shelf from the back wall, big sand blaster, miller 252, 1,500lb 6x18 surface grinder, 1,400lb 3x5' base metal lathe, 2x4' base wood lathe, my dads stuff in that side takes up a lot but I still have 8' wide walkway to the back. its better to have just a lathe rather than just a mill. if you want to convince him take everything out of the garage an spend a weekend cleaning and reorganizing, I did that and was alowed to get my metal lathe. Also mention the stuff you could have repaired with a bridgeport or lathe but only if you could, not if you could try. I fix tons of stuff for my parents so they let me get more and more tools. DO NOT WALK INSIDE WITHOUT CLEANING CHIPS OFF YOUR SHOES!, I got grounded from my tools for two weeks.
Hey, nice to know other people have had similar experiences, my parents also have a two car garage, "my garage" is an adjacent single car. I don't want to expand into the other garage- I couldn't imagine getting weld spatter on a car. my parents don't ground me from my tools- I'm homeschooled so they kinda treat it like a shop class. Although I can't count the number of times my mom has gotten upset over me spilling grease on our nice floor. My dad, one of his friends, and I have a sort of co-op where we split the cost 3 ways on some tools; but they all do woodworking so I can't really negotiate getting a mill as much as I can with a lathe. I have actually spent entire months reorganizing and cleaning- thats why my garage looks squeaky clean in every other video. All this to say, thanks a lot for your feedback- and I definitely will try and make them some stuff with the series 2 before I sell it.

I have a Rockwell mill; a smaller machine but with a real knee. There's also a Clausing that's similar. Both are designed to live on a dedicated riser/stand.
f70a4e8fd3bd61ed08c51657b06c14cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Back