New machinist - need help

If your intent is to fix and flip you may do better with something smaller. Bridgeports and their ilk are very common so finding one at a price that leaves you with some room for profit after getting it moved, bought parts etc may be difficult.
You may do better with smaller machines as these tend to sell for more money since the people interested tend to have space constraints which keep them from buying the more common larger machines, and there just aren't as many around.

Clausing 8520/8530, Rockwell 21-100, and Benchmaster all have good name recognition, so if you can find a deal on a dysfunctional one you will have an easier time finding a seller willing to pay a good price once you get it all fixed up.

Small horizontal mills with an added vertical head would be something else to look for, they often sell cheap since many people don't want a horizontal mill, but when you go to sell it emphasize the vertical head and you may attract people who never gave one a thought. Same goes for other oddball mills that are not well known. Downside to both of these is they can often be found cheap because people don't look for them, but flipping them may not be so easy as buyer rarely specifically look for them.

Added benefit, small machines are smaller so take up less space, and are easier to move which may make the idea of buying one to fix up and sell an easier prospect to sell your parents on.
Well I've already worked out all the budgets and stuff for the restoration project- I'm just wondering what kind of mill I should get for myself, I need one that'll fit in my garage where it's not in the way of a car. plus I've aready worked out a good deal with a seller.

Your first question is the key to everything. Tell your dad that if you can't get a mill, you'll get interested in motorcycles and girls. Space for your new mill should not be a problem.

If it were me, I would tell my parents “I will do *anything* in order to get a knee mill”. I had to say the same thing to my wife when I was 55 years old, & it was my money!

For all of the other things that teenagers are interested in, your parents should be thankful that you want a knee mill.

FWIW I have a benchtop as well as a knee mill. It is a rare occasion when the benchtop gets used, but the knee mill is used every weekend.

Your first question is the key to everything. Tell your dad that if you can't get a mill, you'll get interested in motorcycles and girls. Space for your new mill should not be a problem.
Lol- No promises, he like motorcycles anyway. and by the way he just said he's perfectly fine with me getting a Rockwell or the like- it's the massive Bridgeports he has a problem with. So I think my problem now is just finding one for sale in my area.

Lol- No promises, he like motorcycles anyway. and by the way he just said he's perfectly fine with me getting a Rockwell or the like- it's the massive Bridgeports he has a problem with. So I think my problem now is just finding one for sale in my area.
If anyone has a rockwell, deckel, clausing, maho-,or any other smaller mill in my area, and is willing to sell it for around $1000-1500- That would be greatly appreciated.

A couple of recommendations, although might be out of your price range, but who know what you might find. First is a EMCO FB-2 euro bench mill, but of high quality. Lots of accessories available, gear head six speed. A guy by the name of Graham Meeks uses one and does some amazing work with it. This was my first EMCO which I still own.
View attachment 439715

The second If you want, IMHO, the best small for it's size is the Deckel FP-1, it's a floor model though. Both vertical and Horizontal spindles, lots of accessories, German quality, available in both MT-4 and Cat 40 spindles. Very short in height, which is good for me, since I'm not very tall.
View attachment 439716
nice equip and shop.

If anyone has a rockwell, deckel, clausing, maho-,or any other smaller mill in my area, and is willing to sell it for around $1000-1500- That would be greatly appreciated.
Don’t know about your area but near me outside of philly it’s $1,500-2,000 for a Bridgeport and $2,000-3,000 for the smaller mills like a Rockwell, hobby machines often cost more and imports like a maho or deckel will cost way more

he's my old one, he's gone now. He was the best Frisbee dog. He loved to play, all day, 100 degrees.
This is my new last 5.5 years:
View attachment 439965
I used to have an American Mastiff- when I lived in Singapore we had to muzzle him cause of the Neopolitans being aggressive in the area, but he was the gentlest giant ever. you could put you arm in his mouth and he wouldn't bite you.

Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 8.21.34 PM.png

Last edited:
Back