New Member From Langley Bc Ready To Start Lathe & Mill Shopping

David, very nice work. Looks great!

Thank you Z2V, for the kind comments.

It's taken way longer than it should have but I finally got the Mill running this afternoon.

Mark (MKSJ) stepped up to help again, I had my wiring barse ackwards and a few minor programming issues, minor stuff but enough to prevent all the functions from working.

My son John, finally found an issue with my wiring with the Forward/Reverse switch and the way I installed the diode just as Mark sent the same info to us.

1525054602173.png

Nice to finally get the machine running.

1525054630602.png

Without this site and the kind help of members here I doubt I would have attempted the VFD conversion let alone completed it successfully, so thanks to those who have posted their builds here for others to learn from, and a very big thank you to Mark Jacobs.

David.

Alex, Mark did send me the parameters for the Mill so I'll post it here later tonight.
Thanks so much David, I got back on Thursday from Sumas with a couple of big boxes from Automation Direct, a Vise from Kurt (their cosmetic 2nd for $485 shipped to Sumas and I can't see what the "cosmetic issue is) and a bunch of odds 'n sods. - I think (???) I have the stuff I need pretty well nailed. I liked your idea of using different colour blocks for different voltages and yes they're cheap but it is another $100 or so and I have to make another order to get the other colours so think mine are all going to be the same colour.
Thanks again.
Alex

Here is the Mill setup doc provided by Mark Jacobs.

Attachments

• Mill 3HP WJ200 VFD programming parameters.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 169

It's taken way longer than it should have but I finally got the Mill running this afternoon.

Mark (MKSJ) stepped up to help again, I had my wiring barse ackwards and a few minor programming issues, minor stuff but enough to prevent all the functions from working.

My son John, finally found an issue with my wiring with the Forward/Reverse switch and the way I installed the diode just as Mark sent the same info to us.

View attachment 266409

View attachment 266410

Without this site and the kind help of members here I doubt I would have attempted the VFD conversion let alone completed it successfully, so thanks to those who have posted their builds here for others to learn from, and a very big thank you to Mark Jacobs.

David.
Have to agree with your comments about the site David, Without the help from the people on this site and in my case in particular Mark Jacobs there is NO way I'd be trying set up this equipment the way I am. It's both fun and a very educational experience. I paid a small fortune to have the power supply box for my lathe built "professionally" and realized with some guidance from guys on the site such as you, and Mark and Chevy I can build my own set up for less money and more "EGO" satisfaction and actually have a bit of understanding of what's going on which I never would have developed without this process.
Alex

View attachment 266409

View attachment 266410

David.
Have to agree with your comments about the site David, Without the help from the people on this site and in my case in particular Mark Jacobs there is NO way I'd be trying set up this equipment the way I am. It's both fun and a very educational experience. I paid a small fortune to have the power supply box for my lathe built "professionally" and realized with some guidance from guys on the site such as you, and Mark and Chevy I can build my own set up for less money and more "EGO" satisfaction and actually have a bit of understanding of what's going on which I never would have developed without this process.
Alex
Here is the Mill setup doc provided by Mark Jacobs.
Wonderful, thanks for passing these on and a special thanks to Mark Jacobs for putting this info together.
Alex

I have had a few jobs I've needed my lathe and mill for already but as they were'nt ready to run I found other ways to get the work done, but I was determined to use them for this job and it was awesome to use the mill for the first time on a real project, even though it was just a plastic housing I was milling down.

I had about 20 to do and I needed to machine a new channel to re-route the wires through the back of the unit so we can mount them on a single gang 1110 electric box mounted sideways.

The mill was so sweet to use and I learned a lot on my first mini project.

Here is the setup, pretty basic but I had a grin on my face the whole time, it was great.

nICY0SGH_o.jpg

Last edited:
I have now mounted the control pod and the DRO install is progressing.

I might shorten the spacers on the pod as it sticks out quite a ways, I think they are about 50mm right now so maybe 35mm might be better.

go52FfhK_o.jpg

VERY nice and inspiring, I'm itching to get mine up and running - just realized I've not ordered a tach yet! I like where you mounted the control box too.

VERY nice and inspiring, I'm itching to get mine up and running - just realized I've not ordered a tach yet! I like where you mounted the control box too.

Alex, thanks for the compliments, the control pod is quite high being mounted on the side there as my mill will be raised about 5-6" but as I'm 6'2" it's perfect for me. (I "borrowed the idea from Tim Marks "Explodee")

If you do buy a Tach for the Mill, get the one with an 8mm magnet, or check with Mark Jacobs as he suggested the one I got needs a smaller head and magnet to make it fit the quill on my mill.
He makes a nice halo light that I might see if he will make more as they incorporate the Tach sensor and magnet into IIRC.

Cheers,

David

Last edited:
Back