New Millermatic 211 - power plug question

Skowinski

Registered
Registered
Hi Everyone, just got a 211 and setting up in the new shop, just built. We had electricians install a 240V 50A circuit running to 3 wall plugs. They are NEMA 14-50R and the plug on the welder looks like below.

Do I need a different wall receptacle for the welder? Or can I just plug in and start welding? Haven't used a wall receptacle exactly like these before, they seem kinda funky.

(edit - some things I'm confident about, but not electrical circuits and plugs....)

Receptacle.jpg

Plug.jpg

Last edited:
RJ is correct they aren't compatible. Not sure which would be the least expensive option- probably changing just one receptacle; plugs can be pretty expensive
Do some web searching before you change anything, find out what the hardware costs
-Mark

I'm hoping you can pull the face plate and swap out the plug for the 6-50. If you have some small stuff to weld the Miller 211 is dual voltage to get you by....

Thanks everyone, I guess I was hoping for an easy solution, but the plug and receptacle have to match.

I'll find a new receptacle to match the plug on the welder. Changing that isn't an option, as it seems it voids the warranty.

Thanks everyone, I guess I was hoping for an easy solution, but the plug and receptacle have to match.

I'll find a new receptacle to match the plug on the welder. Changing that isn't an option, as it seems it voids the warranty.

Definitely make an extension cord with appropriate gauge wire. Measure to the farthest point you think the welder will be from a plug and use that as a guide for length. Obviously a 100' cord isn't a good idea but 25' shouldn't have too much amp drop and will be mighty handy in the future.

John

I really like the idea of making up a short (20 ft. or so) extension, great thinking!

Back