New Millermatic 211 - power plug question

Normally I would get a welder extension cable and change out the male end to a 4 prong plug with no neutral connection. But they sell adapters at reasonable cost per what Aukai indicated. Adapters/pigtails allow one to use the extension cord on various different machines with different plug configurations. Just beware of the current ratings of the equipment and cord/breaker. The breaker is sized to the wire, so if you have an 8AWG wire and bring it into a machine with smaller gauge wire with no fusing/breaker it wouldn't be pretty if there was a short. In these circumstances I bring 8AWG to the disconnect switch and to the breaker fuse which would permit a smaller gauge after it. On 50A I would use 8AWG.

Who conducts the full-load testing on the shipped-from-China plug adapters, anyway? They couldn't possibly come with a certificate. Nope, I think I'll pass, better off making my own adapter pigtail out of rated components. At least I'll know that everything is tight.

I wonder how the type of outlet would have any bearing on passing inspection?
The county has a few electrical inspectors that aren't the sharpest tools in the drawer. We added the garage as part of our residential remodel, if the receptacle didn't look like a clothes dryer or a range, it potentially "wasn't right"...

The county has a few electrical inspectors that aren't the sharpest tools in the drawer. We added the garage as part of our residential remodel, if the receptacle didn't look like a clothes dryer or a range, it potentially "wasn't right"...

Thanks
That’s kinda scary because I wonder what kind of nonsense they are passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our shop is wired with older style dryer outlets for commin 240 vac stuff as they are found at yard sales.

Compressor has the above.

That is a range outlet and be thankful as it has everything you need.

2 hots, neutral and safety ground.

For anything that needs to plug in make "adaptor cords", simple extension cord with male that fits outlet and female that fits device.

Insure cord suitable for device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Definitely make an extension cord with appropriate gauge wire. Measure to the farthest point you think the welder will be from a plug and use that as a guide for length. Obviously a 100' cord isn't a good idea but 25' shouldn't have too much amp drop and will be mighty handy in the future.
Much easier to move the welder to the project, than vise versa......

I did mine a couple months ago so a little hazy on the details but I set it up for 50A I think 8GA wire even though it is on a 30A circuit. I have a Miller 220, the TIG and MIG both top out under 30A but if I stick (unlikely I will ever do so at max amps) it can go just a bit more. Going with the heavier wire gives just a bit less resistance and leaves me the option of using it with a bigger welder in the future although I would have to add a heavier circuit.

Your 211 should not draw more than 30A as it is essentially the same as the MIG side of my 220.

They are not hard to covert. the 14-50 uses the Neutral and the 6-50 does not. What prevents you from just plugging the welder in is the size of the prongs don't match the receptical. While it may fit in, it is not the right way to do this and could cause problems.

View attachment 334692
View attachment 334693
You can wire or buy an adapter
View attachment 334694
I just finished up a 20' 10/3 extension cord to get the plasma cutter out the back door of the garage. I buzzed out the cord before I plugged it in, then checked voltage. Both ends are NEMA 6-50 style, as is the wall receptacle. Since the garage is fed from the main house panel, neutral and ground are connected in the panel, so I get 125V between G and X or Y, right? I get 250V between X and Y.

I stretched the 10 ft cord on my HTP MIG200 welder to 25 feet, the original cord was 10GA the add on was 8ga SEOOW and I made a 50 foot extension cord using 6ga SEOOW. Max draw of the welder is 30A at 240V. All of my outlets are 6-50 because for years that was the standard "welder outlet" and what came on the end of my first stick welder.

Back