New Millermatic 211 - power plug question

Went through the same issue - the contractor said it was easier to pass electrical inspection if the wall socket was for a clothes dryer.
He came back and changed the wall socket to match the welder plug.

The power cord is so short on the 211 that you will want an extension anyway probably... I made up a 10' extension for mine. I should have made it longer, but was using what I already had available.

-Bear

Went through the same issue - the contractor said it was easier to pass electrical inspection if the wall socket was for a clothes dryer.
He came back and changed the wall socket to match the welder plug.

I wonder how the type of outlet would have any bearing on passing inspection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would this work?
Amazon
1598250211578.png
NEMA 14-50P to 6-50R 240V 50 Amp Welder Dryer EV Charger Compact Power Cord Adapter Generator

1598250412729.png

Miady 25ft 50AMP Welder Extension Cord, 8 Gauge Heavy Duty Industrial NEMA 6-50 Welding Machine Cord with Lighted End, ETL Approved

Would this work?
Amazon
View attachment 334666
NEMA 14-50P to 6-50R 240V 50 Amp Welder Dryer EV Charger Compact Power Cord Adapter Generator

View attachment 334667

Miady 25ft 50AMP Welder Extension Cord, 8 Gauge Heavy Duty Industrial NEMA 6-50 Welding Machine Cord with Lighted End, ETL Approved

Now that looks like the easiest solution yet - no need to dig out the old wall outlet and wire a new one in. I like it!

Just check with the Gurus here to get their blessing. All I know about electricity is, it wants to shake your hand, and if you let the smoke out things won't work. :grin:

They are not hard to covert. the 14-50 uses the Neutral and the 6-50 does not. What prevents you from just plugging the welder in is the size of the prongs don't match the receptical. While it may fit in, it is not the right way to do this and could cause problems.

NEMA 6-50R.JPG
NEMA 14-50R.JPG
You can wire or buy an adapter
6-50 to 14-50.JPG

I build pigtails and adapters as needed. As long as the wires and receptacles are the correct amperage capacity (you'll want 10 ga. for up to 50 amps) and all your connections are good and tight, you'll be good to go. The only wires you need are your two phases and a ground (for safety, not the circuit).

I prefer to standardize my plugs for 220v stuff. Make 'em all the same, and nothing gets screwed up. Since the three-prong setup covers up to 50A, that's always been my choice. Twist-lock is nice and compact, but is only good for 25A or so.

Another tip is for inspections. If you are having an inspection, you have to run the neutral whether you want to pay for the extra wire or not. If you're not being inspected, you can run regular 10/2 and re-flag the white as a red at the ends. This is barely legal in inspection jurisdictions anymore, but the NEC still allows for it and it will save you some cash if you're skipping paying city hall.

Back