New/old lathe motor swap options

OK, here is how it worked:

Off - the motor hummed, but didn't turn when I plugged in the cord.

Forward - The motor ran forward when I had the switch on forward, then plugged in the cord.

Reverse - The motor ran in reverse when I had the switch in reverse, then plugged the cord in.

When I put the switch in forward, then plugged it in it runs forward, then I switched to off and the motor continued to run forward. Then I switched to reverse (still on the fly), and nothing changed, it still ran forward. No bad sounds, or anything.

I jumpered L1 on the top left and lower left terminals. There is no wire at all going to the lower right terminal.

Better than my last configuration, but something is still not quite right.

GG

You need the power to be coming in on the lower right terminal then a jumper from the lower left to upper left. You're basically using the bottom set of terminals as a switch and the other 4 do your switching. By putting power directly to the upper left terminal that bottom set of contacts is basically jumped out and you have power to the motor all the time. Also motors like this are not instantly reversible. You have to let them slow down at least until you here the click and drag of the centrifical switch closing before you switch it to reverse. It's the start winding that gives the motor the kick in each direction.

I jumpered the bottom right terminal to L1, and still the same result as above. At this time, terminals 1, 5, and 6 on the drum switch have L1 connected. In the off position, I still get a hum from the motor when I plug it in. It doesn't rotate in either direction, just hums. When placed in either the forward or reverse positions, *then* plugged in, the motor rotates the correct direction, but will not stop when the switch is moved to the off position.

I've been looking around on line, and was curious. This switch originally controlled a 3 phase 220v motor, and now I'm asking it to switch a single phase 115v motor. I've seen a number of different drum switch internal connection configurations out there. Is it possible that this is just the wrong switch for this task? Just wondering. Thanks!

GG

Just to clarify you should have L1 (power from plug) hooked up only to the lower right contact of the switch. It should go nowhere else. The jumper from the lower left contact to the upper left contact is a separate wire between just those two terminals and should not be hooked into L1 at any point. Hope that helps. Basically those bottom contacts are functioning just like a regular light switch breaking power to the main winding. If all three terminals (1,5,6) are hooked directly together to L1 that switch gets jumped out and you have power to your main winding all the time. As long as those bottom two contacts break when in the off position, which they should, then you're ok.

OK, I did do that wrong. I connected it to #1, then jumpered it to #5 and #6. I'll go change it and give it another try. Thanks!

GG

WORKS PERFECTLY NOW! Thank you for your help Halligan! It was operator error, like usual. Once I moved L1 to the lower right terminal, all was right with the world.

GG

Oh good grief I think this is going to help me I have the same switch and a new Leeson motor
I just uploaded the wiring diagram can anyone tell me if the there's much of a difference it doesn't seem so. It's up for the 5 and 8 being flip flop

Attachments

• grf_swd-0130015736_00500303_402810276_355.pdf
    23.5 KB · Views: 6
Back