New PM-1236T Lathe has arrived

That's two good options for me to choose. Thank you.
Here’s another solution. I’ve been extremely happy with this arrangement.

Here’s another solution. I’ve been extremely happy with this arrangement.

Beautiful installation and some great ideas for me. Thanks!

Here is the arrangement for lifting with all the assorted pieces of wood to protect the mechanical bits. The leveler came with the crane and allowed me to get it well balanced. The lifting straps are 4 footers. I'm very close to placing it on the base.
20220814_123540.jpg

Speaking of the base. It is a mess. The paint on the doors is scuffed and scratched and the doors do not close all the way. I will have to get some paint mixed up and repaint the doors. And I will try to bend the door hinges so the doors shut. But the cabinets are square, so I got lucky on that I guess.
PM1236T Cabinet Problems- McGee (4).jpg
PM1236T Cabinet Problems- McGee (3).jpg
PM1236T Cabinet Problems- McGee (1).jpg
PM1236T Nameplate gouge.jpg

Well this is disappointing. I bought the MagXact Magnetic MX-200L 2 Axis Lathe LCD DRO for my lathe. I was watching an installation video (see DRO Pros on YouTube for installation videos) and I realized my cross slide has a locking screw and sure enough the X Axis DRO scale covers it. I don't want to give up the locking feature. That screw pushes on the gib to lock the slide. I can't figure out a way to have both the locking feature and the DRO. I would rather give up the DRO and keep the cross slide locking feature if I can't have both. I thought about notching the scale extrusion (crazy I know), but there is still not enough space above the hole. I bought this lathe (PM-1236T 12″x36″ Ultra Precision Lathe) to make model engines, so I want accuracy. And locking the carriage and cross slide are important for doing accurate work.

View attachment 417211
I purchased slim scales, only 16mm wide/tall.... I'm hoping I can install above the locking screw without any interferance... otherwise, it seems like most others, using spacers is the way to go. Doesn't look like PM sells smaller scales.

It looks like the bottom shelf is 1/2" thick, same as the standard 250-201. So a 5/8" tool would be at the same height, right?
This is right out of my book on indexable tooling for the medium-sized lathe:

screenshot_5720.jpg

Buy one and see how it works. If it helps with your tool height issue, load up on a bunch of them like I did.

screenshot_5721 copy.jpg

David

I purchased slim scales, only 16mm wide/tall.... I'm hoping I can install above the locking screw without any interferance... otherwise, it seems like most others, using spacers is the way to go. Doesn't look like PM sells smaller scales.
My lathe has 20mm above the screw, so it should fit.

Speaking of the base. It is a mess. The paint on the doors is scuffed and scratched and the doors do not close all the way. I will have to get some paint mixed up and repaint the doors. And I will try to bend the door hinges so the doors shut. But the cabinets are square, so I got lucky on that I guess.
View attachment 417254View attachment 417255View attachment 417256View attachment 417257
I came up with a way to properly bend the door hinges so the doors close. I placed a stack of wood shims about 5/8" thick between the cabinet and the door on the hinge side and forced the door closed. I did this at the bottom and top a couple of times. It bent the hinges into the proper shape so the door would seat on the cabinet. No problem.
And P.M. is sending me a new name badge. And I will repaint the doors.

Back