New Pm 727m Mill

Thanks for the info, i am sorry to hear about your wife i hope all is well. Im in kinda the same boat with space and going to be trying to make some free room in the shop, luckely i have 6 to 8 weeks to do it, but the weight is going to be hard. I did order the dro as well and am looking forward to trying it out.

Hi, newbie here. I have been a wood guy all my life but got into metal about 5 years ago, when I bought my first lathe, a Bolton CQ9325A. Well let me tell you, I am really enjoying making parts, building jigs and generally learning how to do stuff. Well just like motorcycles and fish tanks and trucks, all you want to do is get a bigger/faster one. Now I am 69 years old (an awkward age) and have some self control over the bigger/faster thing. So I decided I want a milling machine. My shop is half of the 2 car side of a 3 car garage, about 8' wide by 20" long. Drafting table at the end, work bench and storage along the 20" wall and sticking out in the middle is my lathe, drill press and a home made router gantry table that I use to shape the shafts of the walking sticks I make. Well a Bridgeport is out as well as a 45 series and even the Rong Fu 31, all to deep and large (my wife parks her car right behind the shop space). I looked at an X3 a G0704 and PM25. None of these choices really did it for my needs. Then one day I looked at the PM website and discovered the 727M (a little later than you guys), so I called Matt right away, only to find out he was sold out. He said the machines were shipped and I might see one in about 5 weeks. Well, I couldn't get out the credit card fast enough, it was done. The next day I bought about $500 of tooling and other stuff so I could get a start when the machine arrives (very excited). Also ordered a 4" vise from Matt. Now I need a little help, maybe I can find it here. Question 1. Is the 4" vise the right size or should I notch it up to a 5"? 2. Has anyone tried to motorize the Z axis ? and 3. I was looking at the DRO PROS Electronica 400 2 axis DRO with the magnetic scales. Any comments on these questions would be appreciated, especially the Z power feed. Thanks.

Hi, newbie here. I have been a wood guy all my life but got into metal about 5 years ago, when I bought my first lathe, a Bolton CQ9325A. Well let me tell you, I am really enjoying making parts, building jigs and generally learning how to do stuff. Well just like motorcycles and fish tanks and trucks, all you want to do is get a bigger/faster one. Now I am 69 years old (an awkward age) and have some self control over the bigger/faster thing. So I decided I want a milling machine. My shop is half of the 2 car side of a 3 car garage, about 8' wide by 20" long. Drafting table at the end, work bench and storage along the 20" wall and sticking out in the middle is my lathe, drill press and a home made router gantry table that I use to shape the shafts of the walking sticks I make. Well a Bridgeport is out as well as a 45 series and even the Rong Fu 31, all to deep and large (my wife parks her car right behind the shop space). I looked at an X3 a G0704 and PM25. None of these choices really did it for my needs. Then one day I looked at the PM website and discovered the 727M (a little later than you guys), so I called Matt right away, only to find out he was sold out. He said the machines were shipped and I might see one in about 5 weeks. Well, I couldn't get out the credit card fast enough, it was done. The next day I bought about $500 of tooling and other stuff so I could get a start when the machine arrives (very excited). Also ordered a 4" vise from Matt. Now I need a little help, maybe I can find it here. Question 1. Is the 4" vise the right size or should I notch it up to a 5"? 2. Has anyone tried to motorize the Z axis ? and 3. I was looking at the DRO PROS Electronica 400 2 axis DRO with the magnetic scales. Any comments on these questions would be appreciated, especially the Z power feed. Thanks.

I like the Shar's 440V 4"x6" (width x opening) vise over the standard 4" x 4". It has a stubby front (no front hold-down casting) so you can mount it close to the front of the table, but an unprotected 60-degree (non-ACME) leadscrew design. I am using it on a high school robotics team Emco FB2 mill. I have a PM-30MV-L and I like the details of my Glacern GSV-440, but find the 4" opening to be limiting fairly often (putting the jaws outboard remedies this, but it takes some time when I forget my hex sockets). On the plus side, the GMT has a shielded ACME leadscrew. For your machine, I think the Shars vise would be a great candidate.

I don't see why you couldn't make a Z power feed.

I like the Shar's 440V 4"x6" (width x opening) vise over the standard 4" x 4". It has a stubby front (no front hold-down casting) so you can mount it close to the front of the table, but an unprotected 60-degree (non-ACME) leadscrew design. I am using it on a high school robotics team Emco FB2 mill. I have a PM-30MV-L and I like the details of my Glacern GSV-440, but find the 4" opening to be limiting fairly often (putting the jaws outboard remedies this, but it takes some time when I forget my hex sockets). On the plus side, the GMT has a shielded ACME leadscrew. For your machine, I think the Shars vise would be a great candidate.

I don't see why you couldn't make a Z power feed.

I like the 440v also but at the moment it is out of stock. As far as the Z drive, I do plan to make it but can't decide if I should mount to the crank handle or adapt it to the Z screw. Thanks for your input.

3Dshooter80,
I am a newbie here and I am interested in purchasing a PM 727. I live in Wake Forest and noticed you are from the Raleigh area, I would love to see your machine or ask you some questions. Please let me know if this would be possible and I will give you my phone number. Thank you. Hi to everyone on this forum.

First off, I would like to thank 3dshooter80 for his write up of the 727M.
Just wanted to introduce myself, Andy is my name, and I just joined last night. Seems this thread has interested a few because of the mill. Same here.
Also, I'm not too far from the Raleigh area.
I have no machining experience, but am interested. Due to what I have read, and everyone's positive experience, I ordered a PM 727 yesterday. It seemed it may more than fit my needs.
I'll be reading with interest, and probably asking too many questions.
Andyh

WHAT'LL YA' KNOW , I'M IN WAKE FOREST TOO !

SURE , YOU CAN COME OVER AND SEE THE PM MILL .
GLAD TO HAVE A NEIGHBOR ON THE BOARD .

MY SHOP IS IN MARGATE OFF OF 98 NEAR THE WF RESERVOIR .
919-426-3500

Hey Rimspoke! Is that a Messerschmitt I spy in your shop photo? Very Cool!!

YES IT IS . I HAVE 4 MESSERSCHMITTS & 2 ISETTAS

100_1210.JPG

Back