New restoration project! 12" Craftsman lathe.

From all the advice I'm getting I think the best thing for me is to just restore it and sell it. Just too many things that need changing. Maybe I'll find someone wants to swap a 36" for my 54" or another SouthBend. SouthBend lathes are problematic about the wear on the ways though. I don't really have a big need for a lathe and it's just fun to restore old shop machines.

If you're still game for the shorter bed, I'll get measurements and details. I'll trade you straight up for the parts from your lathe. I'll include the shorter lead screw and carriage rack.

I'm in Singers Glen, VA which is just West of Harrisonburg along Interstate 81. My place is 25-30 minutes off the Interstate. Email or PM me if you would like.

If you're still game for the shorter bed, I'll get measurements and details. I'll trade you straight up for the parts from your lathe. I'll include the shorter lead screw and carriage rack.

I'm in Singers Glen, VA which is just West of Harrisonburg along Interstate 81. My place is 25-30 minutes off the Interstate. Email or PM me if you would like.
It's further distance than I had thought. It's over 700 miles round trip back to Knoxville so that's probably not realistically do-able. Only be in Knoxville about five days and back to Tampa.

Well it's been two years since I've even looked at this lathe and am tired of stepping over and around it. Maybe I can get motivated to finish restoring it and either sell or trade for a smaller lathe that can fit in my small shop. The 54" bed is just way too long. If I could find a 30" bed it would be just the right size for my shop. I've been using my Craftsman 6" lathe the last three or more years and would like a 10" or 12" with change gear box to use.

Attachments

• 20240323_193349.jpg
    20240323_193349.jpg
    637.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Time flies, don’t it? Lol

I have a short bed off a 9” south bend. And a short wide bed. Was but not going to use.

I have a short bed off a 9” south bend. And a short wide bed. Was but not going to use.
That's a looooong way from Tampa, Fl! LoL. Out of curiosity, what is the bed width and ways width?

LXD Kid,

I don't want to reserect this project if it is dead and gone or been settled but what is the status ?

LXD Kid,

I don't want to reserect this project if it is dead and gone or been settled but what is the status ?
I also really wish I knew. I don't guess it dead and gone as of yet. As I see it I need to get off my butt and restore it. If that doesn't happen I'd probably try and sell it off as a "basket case" that just needs to put it back together. Everything was taken apart and degreased for painting. When I bought it, "it was a running lathe," and all that it needed was a new back gear and bull gear of which I replaced both. Wifey says to "get it off the patio or else!" ( Don't know what "or else" means but after 52 years of marriage I'd help her pack!" Ha Ha ). I'd like to keep it but 54" bed just not gonna work in my little shop. I've got about $425 in it and could part it out on eBay to recoup my investment and be done with it I'd guess. I'd hate to part out a working lathe! So hang in there with me a little longer and in the near future something will happen one way or another.

Attachments

• 20220416_124544 (1).jpg
    20220416_124544 (1).jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240401_082344.jpg
    20240401_082344.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 11
Back