New restoration project! 12" Craftsman lathe.

Can't believe it. I was co-locating all the parts together to make sure that I still had everything after two years of bouncing around the shop. A box of "stuff" came along with the lathe when i bought it. Wouldn't you just know it had a back gear in the bottom. I had bought another at the same time when I rebuilt the head so now I have spare that I paid for. It looks like I have everything I need to reassemble the lathe. Had not cleaned all the parts as I thought I did! "Nasty stuff!"

Found a 42" bed with lead screw for $287 shipped. If it works out I be keeping the 12" lathe and both have Craftsman tags 101.07403. Haven't bought it yet but If things work out I'll be selling my Craftsman 6" lathe.
Just bought a gallon of degreaser and paint to prepare everything for reassembly. A 42" bed is going to take up almost every inch of space on the table. I hope that I have enough room to work on gears. Might could unbolt the table from the wall and move it over 6". If only I could locate a 36" bed would be great! My Crafty 6" is about 34" with the gear cover. My backyard shop is only 10'x15'.

Attachments

• 20240406_192136.jpg
    20240406_192136.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I have a QC42, and it is as short as I'd ever keep. When I got a 12x36 Atlas, I was able to do some jobs the 10x24 couldn't handle, but you would find that a 36" bed (18" centers) is really, really, limiting.

When Atlas and Sears came out with th new 1/2" bed machines in the mid-50's they must have come to the same conclusions as they did not offer the machines with 18" or 30" between centers beds.

Used 42" bed on the way to me. More money just thrown out the window. Don't really have a use for either lathe but just like to make the chips fly everywhere! Have restored 3 or 4 lathes and never made money on any of them as they were sold at a loss! So I guess you could say this is just a labor of "lathe love"!

THE FUN HAS BEGUN! USED PAINT STRIPPER ON THE LARGE GEAR COVER PARTS, CLEANED WITH MINERAL SPIRITS, THE CHANGE GEARS AND APRON. THERE IS BROKEN GEAR MOUNT AS SHOWN IN THE PICTURES BELOW. ANYONE HAVE A SOURCE WHERE I MIGHT LOOK FOR THIS PART? PROBABLY SAME PART FOR 10" LATHES AS WELL. TOMORROW I'LL SAND, PRIME AND PAINT TODAYS CLEANED PARTS.

20240409_132652 (1).jpg20240409_133347.jpg

THE FUN HAS BEGUN! USED PAINT STRIPPER ON THE LARGE GEAR COVER PARTS, CLEANED WITH MINERAL SPIRITS, THE CHANGE GEARS AND APRON. THERE IS BROKEN GEAR MOUNT AS SHOWN IN THE PICTURES BELOW. ANYONE HAVE A SOURCE WHERE I MIGHT LOOK FOR THIS PART? PROBABLY SAME PART FOR 10" LATHES AS WELL. TOMORROW I'LL SAND, PRIME AND PAINT TODAYS CLEANED PARTS.
Silly question! Ebay has "everything!" Found one for $29 and ordered it. During the cleaning process I noticed all the components seemed to be there "but now" I have to look around for all the "nuts and bolts" for re-assembly!. There has be another box buried in my shop somewhere!!! (Better be,)

Not looking good for finding the nuts and bolts. After two years disassembly I don't recall how many there might be. Hope there are no special nuts and bolts involved that can't be found at a hardware store. Can't imagine where they have gone! The used 42" lathe bed should arrive around 16-19 April.

Around here (West side of Houston N of I-10) the nearest Ace affiliate normally keeps a good stock of hot dipped nuts and bolts in both threads in hex head and in UNC Carriage head.

Around here (West side of Houston N of I-10) the nearest Ace affiliate normally keeps a good stock of hot dipped nuts and bolts in both threads in hex head and in UNC Carriage head.
Yes there is a new ACE Hardware close by my house. I was really surprised by their fine large collection of nuts and bolts! (Never mind how expensive they are!)

Back