"new" Sb Heavy 10 For Me!

jarrettbailey

Registered
Registered
Hey guys

First post for me I believe! I just bought a SB Heavy 10 with hard bed and D1-4 spindle with and 4 1/2' bed! Super excited about it! I started Inow the trade on SB 16 x 60. This lathe will be put to work for a while at my business but will eventually be my personal lathe at home. I also bought a few upgrade items including an 8" 4 jaw, a heavy duty live center, and a D1-4 5C collet chuck. I may have to build a steady rest for it since it didn't come with one. Really pumped about this little lathe! Post pics soon!

Hey guys

First post for me I believe! I just bought a SB Heavy 10 with hard bed and D1-4 spindle with and 4 1/2' bed! Super excited about it! I started Inow the trade on SB 16 x 60. This lathe will be put to work for a while at my business but will eventually be my personal lathe at home. I also bought a few upgrade items including an 8" 4 jaw, a heavy duty live center, and a D1-4 5C collet chuck. I may have to build a steady rest for it since it didn't come with one. Really pumped about this little lathe! Post pics soon!
View media item 95673

Last edited:
Pics didn't load. But that sounds like a nicely set up lathe with a good bed size. I love my heavy 10. The only way I would ever sell it is if I found a great deal on a good condition 13.

Hey guys
I just bought a SB Heavy 10 with hard bed and D1-4 spindle with and 4 1/2' bed! Super excited about it! Really pumped about this little lathe! Post pics soon!

Congratulations on the new addition and welcome!
Alot of the folks here are "Super excited" about their South Bend machines.
lk

I loved that little SB 16. It was a really fun machine to run. We just ran it to death really. The motor went out twice and the ways probably had 0.050" wear for about half of the travel! It was in bad shape. I had to trade it along with some other equipment to get a 20 x 100 Clausing that our shop desperately needed. So, after that I found this little guy and so I'm proud to have a SB back!

Great looking lathe, nice find. It looks like the po restored it.
That 16 would have been worth getting the ways reground.

I checked. Price I got was $11K plus freight either way. I couldn't bring myself to do it. Too much money. Plus a motor repair and probably a general overhaul. It's hard to justify that cost unfortunately. Granted, I only checked a couple places.

I checked. Price I got was $11K plus freight either way. I couldn't bring myself to do it. Too much money. Plus a motor repair and probably a general overhaul. It's hard to justify that cost unfortunately. Granted, I only checked a couple places.
Yup, i hear ya. I'm pretty spoiled I guess, there's tons of places to get stuff like that done around me here in the motor city.

Back