New shop! (was: Multiple buildings, ...)

It's been about 100 years since the last bulb cartel. No joke, there was a cartel where the major world wide manufacturers of incandescent bulbs agreed to make bulbs that only lasted a certain number of hours. Osram, GE, and Sylvania were members of the cartel.

ELTs are usually mounted high in the tail but can be manually reset. Any aircraft radio will receive 121.5MHz that they broadcast, so easy to test.

I have never seen an ELT mounted high on the tail. The antenna maybe, but the unit itself is usually in the tailcone or aft fuselage area, with a connection to the whip antenna via coax cable ( in smaller piston-powered aircraft). The ICAO now specifies that ELTs be operated in the 406Mhz band, although the 121.5 is still utilized and necessary. However, the satellites that previously could pick up the 121.5 signal were decommissioned in 2009, making the 406Mhz ELTs rather advantageous due to the new satellites narrowing the search area down to 17 sq miles vs 782 sq miles with a 121.5Mhz signal only.
And that is the daily ELT lesson! LOL.

I have never seen an ELT mounted high on the tail. The antenna maybe, but the unit itself is usually in the tailcone or aft fuselage area, with a connection to the whip antenna via coax cable ( in smaller piston-powered aircraft). The ICAO now specifies that ELTs be operated in the 406Mhz band, although the 121.5 is still utilized and necessary. However, the satellites that previously could pick up the 121.5 signal were decommissioned in 2009, making the 406Mhz ELTs rather advantageous due to the new satellites narrowing the search area down to 17 sq miles vs 782 sq miles with a 121.5Mhz signal only.
And that is the daily ELT lesson! LOL.
Color me a fool. Yep a little Googling shows you are correct for 152s which I use to work with. Maybe I’m remembering the antenna, it has been nearly two decades. IIRC 406 was just become a requirement when I was had to quit flying (2004).

Last edited:
After being gone for a week, I’m back to work on this shop build. Got the office mostly framed up today. Need more 2x4’s.
E0B1B27C-BA59-428D-A710-073803AD9C93.jpeg

While I was gone the power company contractor got the new line buried. Hopefully I can get them to hook that up to the transformer soon.

Too late. Sorry I didn't think of it until I saw your picture. I wish the guy that did the framing in my shop (interior rooms) had used it.
At this point, I recommend you caulk both sides of the sills before you sheet the walls.
I'm less interested in the thermal properties than I am gasketing the joint to minimize air, fluid and bug leaks/paths

Too late. Sorry I didn't think of it until I saw your picture. I wish the guy that did the framing in my shop (interior rooms) had used it.
At this point, I recommend you caulk both sides of the sills before you sheet the walls.
I'm less interested in the thermal properties than I am gasketing the joint to minimize air, fluid and bug leaks/paths
Keeping stink bugs out is always a worthwhile endeavor. Being in the middle of corn/soy fields has some disadvantages.

I have some extra rolls of fiberglass insulation. I will probably use those up insulating the office walls/ceiling. Obviously the exterior portion of the office space will get the same R-23 treatment that the rest of the exterior walls and ceiling will get. I've already sprayed polyurethane foam around the doors and windows. The R-23 will be on top of 1/2" styrofoam under the exterior metal walls, and 1" styrofoam roof. I didn't insulate under the concrete slab, so that will be my biggest heat loss.

End of next week will mark the one month point on the concrete slab, so I can seal it, and then start moving stuff in.

I watched something on YouTube recently comparing fire resistance of insulations (spray foam, foam board, fiberglass and one other). I was shocked by how fast foam board, then spray foam went up in flames. The fiberglass only had the paper ignite but went out after that. There was one more that also is a spray type closed cell and it was not affected at all.

I watched something on YouTube recently comparing fire resistance of insulations (spray foam, foam board, fiberglass and one other). I was shocked by how fast foam board, then spray foam went up in flames. The fiberglass only had the paper ignite but went out after that. There was one more that also is a spray type closed cell and it was not affected at all.
Checkout rockwool... I use it to protect cabinets while sweating pipes. I have used it to heat parts, you use it to keep the heat in with fire bricks.

Slowly plodding along, I'm a pretty sad carpenter and definitely not fast. But the price is right ;)

Getting the office enclosed. Got all of the office rough wiring done yesterday, need to work on putting in insulation in the walls before closing up the inside. Also got most of the wiring on the rest of the building more or less closed up. Hosting a small party in there tomorrow so don't want anyone getting shocked.
IMG_4474.JPG

Next week I'll seal the floors. There are four large pieces of equipment I'd like to get moved in ASAP to get them out of another space: the K&T 3k vertical mill, the Monarch 612 lathe, a Thompson 6x24 surface grinder, and a large granite table (former CMM table). I'll need to make a base for the granite table, and cut some steel pucks for feet for the other equipment, before doing that. Then rent a oversized forklift or telehandler to move all that stuff. That'll happen before I get the walls finished, which is not ideal, but I need to start reorganizing.

Slowly plodding along, I'm a pretty sad carpenter and definitely not fast. But the price is right ;)

Getting the office enclosed. Got all of the office rough wiring done yesterday, need to work on putting in insulation in the walls before closing up the inside. Also got most of the wiring on the rest of the building more or less closed up. Hosting a small party in there tomorrow so don't want anyone getting shocked.
View attachment 401742

Next week I'll seal the floors. There are four large pieces of equipment I'd like to get moved in ASAP to get them out of another space: the K&T 3k vertical mill, the Monarch 612 lathe, a Thompson 6x24 surface grinder, and a large granite table (former CMM table). I'll need to make a base for the granite table, and cut some steel pucks for feet for the other equipment, before doing that. Then rent a oversized forklift or telehandler to move all that stuff. That'll happen before I get the walls finished, which is not ideal, but I need to start reorganizing.
It's horrible working around equip... But I get it..... Hope you can get as much done as possible before moving stuff.

Back