New shop! (was: Multiple buildings, ...)

@rabler

If it's not too invasive, I'm curious regarding the purpose/nature of the party.

I don't think I've ever hear mention of a "Shop Warming" party. Attendees could bring nuts & bolts & small tools, LOL. :grin:

I've lost track, did the Power Utility swap the service connection yet?

Slowly plodding along, I'm a pretty sad carpenter and definitely not fast. But the price is right ;)

Getting the office enclosed. Got all of the office rough wiring done yesterday, need to work on putting in insulation in the walls before closing up the inside. Also got most of the wiring on the rest of the building more or less closed up. Hosting a small party in there tomorrow so don't want anyone getting shocked.
View attachment 401742

Next week I'll seal the floors. There are four large pieces of equipment I'd like to get moved in ASAP to get them out of another space: the K&T 3k vertical mill, the Monarch 612 lathe, a Thompson 6x24 surface grinder, and a large granite table (former CMM table). I'll need to make a base for the granite table, and cut some steel pucks for feet for the other equipment, before doing that. Then rent a oversized forklift or telehandler to move all that stuff. That'll happen before I get the walls finished, which is not ideal, but I need to start reorganizing.
Nice, not to be a picker, but you should run your sheet rock horizontally not vertically. It provides better strength and stability. This way you only have some stability in between the sheet rock joints and none at the joint. If you still have the inside open especially on the ceiling, do them horizontal to the studs or trusses and stagger the joints like a brick wall.

You know in the old days, they hung it vertically. I remember the first time I saw it horizontal, it was a crew doing it in an industrial building and I asked why, they said the steel studs needed more support from each other more flex, and he clarified it by saying that wood didn't require the same. He also said it was more work to do horizontal because you had to trim or beat down the edges. Sounded good to me. I have done both, gotta say going vertical is easier, less work.. but really no problem either way.

Slowly plodding along, I'm a pretty sad carpenter and definitely not fast. But the price is right ;)

Getting the office enclosed. Got all of the office rough wiring done yesterday, need to work on putting in insulation in the walls before closing up the inside. Also got most of the wiring on the rest of the building more or less closed up. Hosting a small party in there tomorrow so don't want anyone getting shocked.
View attachment 401742

Next week I'll seal the floors. There are four large pieces of equipment I'd like to get moved in ASAP to get them out of another space: the K&T 3k vertical mill, the Monarch 612 lathe, a Thompson 6x24 surface grinder, and a large granite table (former CMM table). I'll need to make a base for the granite table, and cut some steel pucks for feet for the other equipment, before doing that. Then rent a oversized forklift or telehandler to move all that stuff. That'll happen before I get the walls finished, which is not ideal, but I need to start reorganizing.
Before moving equipment might be worthwhile doing minimal surface treatment to the concrete to reduce porosity and improve durability. See attached as one of the options. This particular one is very easy to apply and relatively inexpensive.

Attachments

• SpecHard.pdf
    384.3 KB · Views: 4
Before moving equipment might be worthwhile doing minimal surface treatment to the concrete to reduce porosity and improve durability. See attached as one of the options. This particular one is very easy to apply and relatively inexpensive.
Guess I didn't make that clear enough. Next week I'll seal the floors. After that I will look into the forklift rental.

@rabler

If it's not too invasive, I'm curious regarding the purpose/nature of the party.

I don't think I've ever hear mention of a "Shop Warming" party. Attendees could bring nuts & bolts & small tools, LOL. :grin:

I have some rather interesting friends. One of them is having a birthday tomorrow, so we'll be celebrating.

@rabler

Nice, not to be a picker, but you should run your sheet rock horizontally not vertically. It provides better strength and stability. This way you only have some stability in between the sheet rock joints and none at the joint. If you still have the inside open especially on the ceiling, do them horizontal to the studs or trusses and stagger the joints like a brick wall.
Not sure I follow. I do my vertical sheet rock so that joints only occur on a stud, so there are no unsupported edges to a piece of sheetrock. Are you comparing to having joints not over a stud?! I use construction adhesive along all the studs/joists. Horizontal sheetrock has a 16" unsupported span between studs (Ok, to be more precise, 14.5").

My former house in Marietta that I had with a 2 story vaulted ceiling with sheetrock run horizontally. You could see the horizontal joints where they had bowed slightly after several years. I would guess that the higher pieces of sheetrock had been installed with the horizontal joint under pressure from the weight of the higher pieces, and eventually resulted in some buckling/bowing. So I'm not sold on the superiority of horizontal sheetrock.

I'm still vacillating on how to cover the interior of the 12' exterior walls. The surface to be covered is really only 11', as there is a 2x12 at the top. Concerns are fireproofing for welding, being able to hang tools on the wall, durability, cost, etc. My initial though was using a 3' interior wainscot of 26ga metal at the bottom run horizontally, a 4' high span of slatwall or plywood run horizontally, and a 4' high span of sheetrock run horizontally. I'm currently debating just going sheetrock, then some slatwall, and sheetrock again on top.

As a side note, the new hire at the lumber counter at my local Menards couldn't find "drywall" in their computer, and asked what else it might be called. "sheetrock" was my second try. Gypsum board was my third try, which resulted in her stating they only had the "lightweight" variety of 1/2". Yeah, it's all lightweight I told her, just marketing.

@extropic said:
Geez, give a guy a few minutes to work through the long list of questions. Admittedly my non-linear and fragmented approach could be problematic. But, to answer your bolded question, no.
I've been playing phone tag with the line superintendent for our area, who is the one to schedule such things. He is also typically out in the field, not at his desk. I'm still running on about 200' of 10/3 UF, wired into a 20A 220V circuit breaker in the old shop. Gives me enough power to run the lights and circular saw, chargers for the drill/drivers, and test out the wiring circuits as I get them completed.

Last edited:
It's horrible working around equip... But I get it..... Hope you can get as much done as possible before moving stuff.
Yeah. Story of my life, my current shop was packed to the brim when I started working on it. I'm going to minimize what I move in and all of that goes only in corner, but I'm dreading that. I won't try to power those machines up, or even level them, until I get all of the construction done in that corner. I'll probably try to hang the initial wall covering too, but joints and paint may be an after the equipment thing. Deck chairs on the titanic, but I suspect we all struggle with space allocation. But waiting to move stuff until after I finish up all the built in benches, and cranes, and other such stuff means tying up other space too long. Also I'm going to put the 3x4 surface plate in the office before I build the door frame and hang a door, so that I can roll it in by putting a dolly under the stand, otherwise once the door is in place I'd have to take the 1000 lbs of granite off the stand and roll it through the door on edge, then try to hoist it back onto the stand.

Back