New Tig Day - Everlast Powertig 255 Ext (18 Pics)

Last question. Did you buy your torch, hose, accessories from Everlast?
Yes, water cooled and air cooled flex torches, went with the supplied foot pedal. I purchased their Gas Lens TIG Kit.

Mark (Lugweld on the weldingweb forum) gave me a good discount.

Note: Everlast is coming out with a newly designed pedal in June that is suppose to be a better design than the SSC one. They also will be releasing a rotary torch head too.

Consumables I purchased through my LWS.

Its worth mentioning the CK torches from Everlast come with the Everlast specific connectors.

Thats good to know Coolidge. I am going to give them a call tomorrow, plan buying the cooler as well. Which torch do you use most Coolidge.

Got my Everlast 255EXT with WC-300A yesterday. (Two days after placing my order!)

Took a lot of photos of the packaging and accessories. Will post them when I process them, but everything was well packaged and packed. I plan to shoot a video of the insides in the near future.

The cart had zero instructions (not a problem) but the diagram was wrong. Their on-line manual for the 255EXT has technical errors as well...... it seems to me that it just would not take anytime to clean up their documentation.

Water cooler is well made. I have not hooked up the WP-20 yet, will be doing that tomorrow.

If anyone is new to TIG like I am, a good on-line resource is Miller's gtabook.pdf and guidelines GTAW. pdf. CK has a technical specifications.pdf that is excellent as well. These references provide the details on tungsten use, torch setup, gas cf, and amperage for different materials , thicknesses, and processes.

My unit was shipped with standard WP-9 and WP-20 torches instead of flex heads. Called Everlast and they said shipping was suppose to put a note in my box stating they would be sending the flex heads out within the next 2 weeks at no charge. So I guess I will have a couple of extra torch heads! BTW, their customer support is excellent.

The pedal is redesigned this year, I found it worked well. The torch hoses are very flexible. The cart leaves a lot to be desired, but is a step up from HF. Though not in the same class as "professional regulators", I found the one supplied is adequate. I was able to set my flow accurately and it maintained it spot-on. The equipment clamp is heavy duty, what I remember on the Miller's and Lincoln's I operated in the past. So far, very pleased with the unit.

The unit is quiet compared to other welders I've been around.

Spent most of my day practicing on steel (DC). Found it very natural and easy, just like soldering. I really liked the pulsed DC settings and HF start. I've figure out the gas lenses and tungsten sizes after reading the references listed above, so tomorrow I will try aluminum.

I had planned to weld my own welder's table, but found this company today, CertiFlat welding table kits. http://weldtables.com
I could not build one as nice for the price they are selling theirs for. I will be placing one on order as soon as my cash reserves allow!

Again, thanks for all the information provided here! Made my decision easy.

Thats good to know Coolidge. I am going to give them a call tomorrow, plan buying the cooler as well. Which torch do you use most Coolidge.

I use the included water cooled torch that came with the 255ext that has the on/off switch on the torch. Especially when doing tack welds. I also favor the stubby tungsten end cap vs the end cap that can hold a full length tungsten, you have to snap your tungsten electrodes in half to fit but its much easier to get the torch into tighter positions with the stubby end cap. I also prefer the gas lens vs just the cup which lets me have more tungsten stick out for getting into tight spots and inside corners.

Last edited:
Speaking of welding tables...and tmarks :D This is what precision CNC machined/drilled 5/8 inch thick welding table looks like. I had to lift it with my engine hoist to move it ahahaha!

th?&id=OIP.M38f705ca6612fb646914e35e57374f1fo0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

tma52238_1.jpg

th?&id=OIP.M38f705ca6612fb646914e35e57374f1fo0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

tma52238_1.jpg

tma52238_1.jpg

tma52238_1.jpg

tma52238_1.jpg

tma52238_1.jpg

I have also recently purchased the 255 EXT. Although I have only run it for a few hours, I am impressed with it. For the price, it is a very good deal. There does not seem to be much I can add to this write up...it is very complete, however here is a bit of info that yall might find useful.
I had the same problem with the gas inlet in the back of the machine interfering with my cylinder. Instead of modifying my cart I used a Western AW-407. CGA "B" (032) male to female elbow. I ordered mine here: https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/ei...UNDEF:X:AW-407
It did the trick.
As far as welding helmets, I bought one of those Lincoln Viking 3350 helmets with the new 4C lens. All I can say is wow! The 4C gives a nearly full color view of the action. The difference between my old helmet and this one is amazing! It is well worth money. The window is nice and large, and with a cheater lens, you can see the arc change to green when you dip that tungsten with remarkable clarity!

Thanks, coolidge, for the great write up!

Morgan, thanks for the tip on the fitting. I did not have to modify mine to fit a 150cf cylinder, but did have to offset it a little.

I'm glad to hear about the Lincoln Viking 3350 helmet. I've been using my 255 almost daily with a cheap HF helmet and finally decided last week to get a better helmet. I found a really good price on the 3350 and pulled the trigger; it arrives Tuesday or Wednesday.

Toolmaster, the duty cycle for TIG is:
120V: 60% @ 150A/16V 100% @ 120 A/14.8V
240V: 60% @ 250A/20V 100% @ 200 A/18V

I have mine running on 240V and usually welding below 200A, so I don't stop for anything, except for grinding tungsten and running out of filler rod! The WP20 water torch helps a lot.

The only complaint is I am still waiting on the Flexhead torches to be sent from Everlast. I believe they are coming out with a new version in June, so perhaps I will be getting that one.

Back