New to me 5904

middle.road

Actively Learning...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Sweet! This one came with three holders. I'll definitely need a couple more.
Despite what the other guys are saying it's a rusty ol' piece of junk, just send to me, I'll take care of it and shipping too. :grin: :cool 2:

That is a super sweet tool post. Had a sharp intake of breathe when I came across the picture.

Tenpounder

Registered
Registered
Despite what the other guys are saying it's a rusty ol' piece of junk, just send to me, I'll take care of it and shipping too. :grin: :cool 2:

That is a super sweet tool post. Had a sharp intake of breathe when I came across the picture.
Thanks. Seems a good score. I'll take its weight in gold :D

Tenpounder

Registered
Registered
Still inspecting. Going to change the oil in both the apron and head stock. The oil level seems high considering the sight glass has a line in it half way up. Oil is 3 inches high. Where should the oil level be? 20200305_203541.jpg 20200305_203847.jpg

Rata222

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I believe that is a Royal collet closer. If so....Attached is a manual. Also attached is some info I had saved. It was created by Bob Nawa from (I believe) the Clausing Group on Yahoo (now GroupsIO ).

Also- just in case you are unsure- after removing the back part of the collet closer assembly - you will loosen the nut (clockwise) to remove the spindle nose piece. That will pop out the collet adapter, .

Attachments

mksj

Active User
Oil level should be at the middle line or slightly above but not above the top of the site gauge. Too high will cause increase drag and foaming of the oil. The biggest issue with the Multifix is the cost of the toolpost and holders. Real holders go for hundreds of dollars each. There are clones which are significantly less.
http://www.createtool.com/list.asp?cid=33

Tenpounder

Registered
Registered
I believe that is a Royal collet closer. If so....Attached is a manual. Also attached is some info I had saved. It was created by Bob Nawa from (I believe) the Clausing Group on Yahoo (now GroupsIO ).

Also- just in case you are unsure- after removing the back part of the collet closer assembly - you will loosen the nut (clockwise) to remove the spindle nose piece. That will pop out the collet adapter, .
This will definitely help when I forget how to put it back on... Thank you

Tenpounder

Registered
Registered
Oil level should be at the middle line or slightly above but not above the top of the site gauge. Too high will cause increase drag and foaming of the oil. The biggest issue with the Multifix is the cost of the toolpost and holders. Real holders go for hundreds of dollars each. There are clones which are significantly less.
http://www.createtool.com/list.asp?cid=33
Thank you for the info. The spindle gear was half submerged in oil! I jumped back when I saw how over filled it was. I think I'll order a couple of the knock off tool holders. I've wasted better money on worse. Do you recommend any solvent/alcohol for flush the head stock? There is considerable amount of residue left behind.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
#2 Diesel is relatively cheap and easy to get. And unlike Mineral Spirits (Varsol, Stoddard Solvents, etc.) it won't de-grease the gears and bearings. Downside or course is the smell. If you get it on your clothes, your wife may not let you in the house.

Tenpounder

Registered
Registered
Great input. Thank you. I was looking into the knock off multifix tool posts and found they are made and shipped from Wuhan, China. I'll probably wait a bit before I make a purchase. Just a slight precaution.

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Great input. Thank you. I was looking into the knock off multifix tool posts and found they are made and shipped from Wuhan, China. I'll probably wait a bit before I make a purchase. Just a slight precaution.
I work at a car assembly plant in Michigan. Lots of parts come from China. Our safety department reports that the Corona virus can only live on boxes and parts for 2 hours tops. No risk for contracting the virus.

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
You have some nice tooling with that Clausing. If the previous owner worked with Royal and Multi -fix, he probably knew how to take good care of his equipment.

Tenpounder

Registered
Registered
I work at a car assembly plant in Michigan. Lots of parts come from China. Our safety department reports that the Corona virus can only live on boxes and parts for 2 hours tops. No risk for contracting the virus.
That's cool. I'd tell the head of your safety department to come on down and help throw some boxes then. Lol.

Tenpounder

Registered
Registered
You have some nice tooling with that Clausing. If the previous owner worked with Royal and Multi -fix, he probably knew how to take good care of his equipment.
Thanks. I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from the seller. It was a craigslist find. He wasn't very forthcoming with the history of the lathe. He stated he only had it 2 months. Got it from a friend who got it out of an auction. He had a broken down 5914 and this working 5904. Didn't make much sense to me but he had and I wanted. It has been great learning from everyone here. HM Rocks!

middle.road

Actively Learning...
From what I've been reading, your safety dept might need to do a little more research.
They aren't sure right now if it's a few hours or several days on surfaces - which gets rather disconcerting.
There is a report out last couple of days that direct sunlight does kill it though.
So as @JimDawson did, leave it out in the sun.

Tenpounder

Registered
Registered
The world is coming to an end but I'll be in my shop working on the lathe.. best place to socially distance myself in my opinion.
I've been sporadically working on the lathe. I changed the oil in the head stock. Mounted a chuck. Tightened up the motor mounts. Made a pin spanner. Generally cleaned and inspected the unit. I found a couple oil fittings broken. Waiting for those from McMasterCarr. I the key for the tail stock quill was extemely worn. Appears someone has already turned the key 180. Took a few minutes on the 8520 to make a new one. Last week I ordered a chuck wrench from McMasterCarr. I made sure to measure 3 times before ordering. The chuck wrench I ordered was 7/16. As Murphys law would have it, I received the wrench and it was .030 over. Fixed that. I changed the plug end on the VFD cord and removed one of the input wires to run 220v 1ph for input. Powered the VFD on and let it simmer for a few minutes. Powered up the lathe and Disney magic sparkled in my eyes. Now I know how my kids feel when they are glued to the telly. Ran the lathe through its gears, in and out of back gear, quick change, and speeds etc....
It's runs pretty well. No big issues. The VFD trips out on over current if you try to starting high speed in direct drive. The VFD doesn't have enough, being derated for 1ph input. But it works for now. That will give me time to source another VFD. 20200319_143901.jpg 20200319_142951.jpg 20200319_143037.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

machPete99

Registered
Registered
Great, something else I should check into on my lathe; it does have a bit of axial play in the TS...
Thanks for posting!

Tenpounder

Registered
Registered
Great, something else I should check into on my lathe; it does have a bit of axial play in the TS...
Thanks for posting!
Yes it does. I didn't measure axial but I estimate a 16th. Rotational was horrible but easily tightened up with the new key.

Tenpounder

Registered
Registered
Got some pieces/parts for align the head and tail stock. Set it all up and to a cutting tool it's dead on. This was sweet but short lived. I thought, I wonder what it looks like 90 degrees out. Set the dial on top and it's 0.042 in high on the tail stock. Question, should I care about this? My thought is Yes. It will throw off a center drill.....
Or am I getting wrapped around the spindle. I would believe that if I tried to center drill anything it would be high by .042 in. 20200321_155925.jpg

Tenpounder

Registered
Registered
My only thought for repair would be to mill the tail stock down and shim it up to the center?

machPete99

Registered
Registered
You could loosen the headstock and apply some shim stock on the flat side of the ways.
Note that there is a tapered pin on the front side near the vee way that pins the headstock to the bed.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Mounting the Edge test bar between centers effectively cancels out any height error hypothetically due to the headstock not being level. However, before doing anything, I would remove the test bar and slide the tailstock up to the headstock until the two centers almost touch. You should easily see any height error as large as 0.042". As another check to make sure that your MT taper in the spindle is not the culprit is with the two centers almost touching but not overlapping, rotate the spindle 180 degrees. Or alternatively, with the test bar in place, position your dial indicator back over the headstock end of the test bar and check the runout. Or both.

Tenpounder

Registered
Registered
You could loosen the headstock and apply some shim stock on the flat side of the ways.
Note that there is a tapered pin on the front side near the vee way that pins the headstock to the bed.
Ya, Not sure I want to travel down that road quite yet. That could be a slippery slope!

machPete99

Registered
Registered
I had the headstock off mine when I moved it. The tapered pin is in the front corner on the chuck end. Its going into the flat part of the way, not the vee as stated earlier (brain lapse). Easiest way to remove is to carefully rock/pry around the headstock (after removing retaining bolts).

Also, try turning your own center in a chuck as it will then be exactly concentric with the axis of rotation. (see pic).
center_homemade.jpg

Tenpounder

Registered
Registered
Mounting the Edge test bar between centers effectively cancels out any height error hypothetically due to the headstock not being level. However, before doing anything, I would remove the test bar and slide the tailstock up to the headstock until the two centers almost touch. You should easily see any height error as large as 0.042". As another check to make sure that your MT taper in the spindle is not the culprit is with the two centers almost touching but not overlapping, rotate the spindle 180 degrees. Or alternatively, with the test bar in place, position your dial indicator back over the headstock end of the test bar and check the runout. Or both.

I executed what you stated and found the tail stock center clearly higher. I checked runout on the center I had in the head stock which is 3mt then an adapter to 4mt for the spindle. It has .003 in runout. I dI'd notice I can see daylight through the two halve of my tail stock...hmmmm? I should probably start there and take it apart for examination. 20200322_145832.jpg

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
OK. The tailstock is high. It wasn't quite clear to me where you were seeing daylight through the TS but as you probbly have a V-bed, it could have been designed that way. Or another possibility is that a shaving/swarf could have gotten embedded. Removal and inspection should show that.

Tenpounder

Registered
Registered
Found my .042in! I did some research in the manual and it appears this tail stock is not original to the lathe by serial number. This particular tail stock goes on the later serial numbered lathes. I took the tail stock off today and it appears some brilliant human used the end of the stock as an anvil. Hammer marks all over it, under the spindle. They deformed the joint where the stock splits in two. I spend some time cleaning and stoning the surfaces. Reassembled the stock. Put a center in it. Slid it over to the head stock. Threaded out the spindle, and VOILA, money shot! 20200328_123609.jpg 20200328_123621.jpg 20200328_123634.jpg 20200328_135934.jpg 20200328_142942.jpg

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
pretty crazy what people do to machine tools! glad you found the error and was able to fix it.

Tenpounder

Registered
Registered
pretty crazy what people do to machine tools! glad you found the error and was able to fix it.
Thanks. I'm glad I didn't have to get into the headstock as you stated. When I saw the damage I had a fuzzy feeling it was going to be the fault.

Tim9

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Very nice Clausing Lathe. I have a 5903. I absolutely love it. Really a great machine.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock