New To Me Atlas 3996 12 X 36 Lathe

It is a carriage stop, but different from the one I bought with my 3996. It is direct reading, 0.050" per revolution. Otherwise, the side nearest the bed looks like yours.

Robert,
That is a picture of mine. I put it on as a carriage stop but I'm not sure if that's the correct application. There are no calibrations on either side. Both thumb wheels turn out and have a jamb nut. Yes it clamps to the ways but if you were to locate it in the normal place you could not tighten the Allen hd. cap screws...Why would you make a carriage stop with no dial? Hmmm?
Here are a couple moer pic.'s maybe they show it a little better.
20160217_131912.jpg What is it.jpg

Tim,

The normal location for a carriage stop is on front of the front way, not the rear of it. The one that you have probably wasn't made by Atlas. The only reason I can think of for having an adjustment on both sides is that you could also use it on the right side of the carriage, if you were for example cutting a shoulder on the headstock side of a part.

Tonight, I have three carriage stops. Two do not have dials. I seldom pay much attention to the scale or dial on the one that has one.

Thanks again Robert. You are a wealth of information regarding the Atlas lathe. I am only scratching the surface myself but hope to improve as I go. Hey, whats up with the downloads? I see that I can access the download section but it shows zero downloads available! Hmmm this forum works about as well as my lathe right about now ..LOL
I posted a question in the electrical section regarding the wiring of my lathe from 220V to 120V but no takers....Just as well, after taking to you I decided to just run another 220 line to that area of my shop. So far I have discovered that you may be my only source of information. There were over 30 lookers at my post and no one knew the answer. Thanks again.

There should be a plate on the motor that lists what wires to change to go from 220V back to 120V.

Tim (and anyone else),

Re: Downloads, for historical reasons (we had several people join, spend a couple of days copying everything to their site, and then quit), access to Downloads and I think Photos requires 30 posts and ACTIVE MEMBER status, or SUPPORT (Donor) status. You aren't far off from the former.

When you do get there, first go to the Sticky threads at the top of this forum and read H-M Downloads... for an explanation of how to find things in Downloads.

After running the lathe for a few hours yesterday, I heard a clunk but everything kept running as normal. Today I noticed a chunk broke out of the side wall of the upper three step pulley. I am referring to the step pulleys located on the outside of the lower cabinet.Is this a common size? The old one will probably crumble to pieces if I use a puller on it.

Tim,

They are 4-step pulleys, not 3. The smallest step OD is 3", the largest 6". The pitch diameters would be about 2-3/4" and 5-3/4". I didn't attempt to measure the in-between steps but most likely 4" and 5". The closest that McMaster has is a 2" to 4". Two of those would probably cost you about $50 delivered (you would have to change both of them to keep the spindle speeds at least close to what they are now. Plus you would have to buy a shorter 4L something belt. It's quite possible that if you look around, you may find a larger pulley pair, as I doubt that Atlas had the pulleys custom made. Otherwise, look on eBay. Or call Clausing.

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Atlas # 10-80 step pulleys. Its kind of frustrating finding all the hacked together repairs that have been done to this machine.
What I originally thought of as a good deal is turning out to be a lesson in "you get what you pay for". It will still be a great lathe when I'm finished its just going to cost more than I had planned.

Last edited:
Back