New To Me Atlas 3996 12 X 36 Lathe

Tim,

They are 4-step pulleys, not 3. The smallest step OD is 3", the largest 6". The pitch diameters would be about 2-3/4" and 5-3/4". I didn't attempt to measure the in-between steps but most likely 4" and 5". The closest that McMaster has is a 2" to 4". Two of those would probably cost you about $50 delivered (you would have to change both of them to keep the spindle speeds at least close to what they are now. Plus you would have to buy a shorter 4L something belt. It's quite possible that if you look around, you may find a larger pulley pair, as I doubt that Atlas had the pulleys custom made. Otherwise, look on eBay. Or call Clausing.

Robert,
Someone must have replaced the original step pulleys with some 3 step ones. I just keep finding stuff has been thrown together just to make it work. I looked around the internet and the Atlas step pulleys are not a very common size to replace exactly. I could find 6" 4 step but none with the 3/4" bore. Bottom line $110.00 for the pair shipped to my door.

Tim,

The McMaster pulleys, although as I wrote earlier smaller than the Atlas originals, are available in 3/4" bore. And they have 3-step ones, as well. Although I didn't pay any attention to what the diameters are. Personally, I would go back with originals. But I realize that they are a little pricey.

Tim,

The McMaster pulleys, although as I wrote earlier smaller than the Atlas originals, are available in 3/4" bore. And they have 3-step ones, as well. Although I didn't pay any attention to what the diameters are. Personally, I would go back with originals. But I realize that they are a little pricey.

I agree Robert. I ordered two Atlas 10-80 step pulleys last night off of e-bay. They should arrive by Next Tuesday March 1.
While we are on the subject of pulleys. I just discovered there is a 2 step pulley on one end of the counter-shaft but only a single pulley on the motor! So now I need to replace the motor pulley as well. I checked on e-bay and there is one for $125.00.....That's to rich for my blood. I'll have to shop around a bit. Do you have the dimensions of that pulley? I know it has a 5/8" bore and is part number 10-428.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Clausing and ordered the replacement motor pulley 10-428. Price was $90.00 shipped to me. I sure hope I have addressed all the pulley issues.

Last edited:
I like to check Clausing price before ordering from other places. It is cheaper new than used a lot of the time but not always. It's unreal how well they still support our old lathes after all these years.

Tim,

Sounds like you don't need it but in the Atlas Drawings folder in Downloads, there is a drawing for machining the 10-428 from bulk stock (aluminum).

Well, another day another adventure with the project.
In preparation for the expected parts coming early next week I decided to get into the under drive and see what's going on down there. I removed the (wrong) motor pulley that had been in place and cleaned and oiled the motor shaft. It looks to be in good shape and ready for the new pulley. I took a good look at the counter-shaft casting...I'd like to say I was surprised but no, I actually expected a new problem and I wasn't disappointed. The shaft is scored and I think the bushings are probably beat up. Right now its late Friday evening so I'll have to wait till Monday to see what Clausing wants for a new shaft and bushings. Its a shame as this would actually be a fun project with the new lathe but right now I don't have an operational new lathe.
I'll try to upload some pictures as soon as I can. Sorry to say this thread is turning into "Things to look for when buying your first lathe". There is a lot more to restoring a vintage machine than some elbow grease and paint. My hats off to those of you who have done a complete restoration. I can now appreciate the work you have put into the process. One thing I will say. I have learned a lot doing these repairs and enjoy the challenge. When I am finished it will run and run as it should.

If Clausing's price on the shaft is steep look for TG&P drill rod in that same diameter and bronze bearings to match. You may find that a cheaper option.
speedymetals.com is my favorite supplier for drill rod.

Spiral_Chips

Hi Tim,
It looks like a nice lathe. I'm curious why there are washers under the bolt down pads of the head casting. I would have thought that that part bolts directly to the pan and any leveling takes place under the feet of the base? I'm 62 and I have fond memories of shop class. I'm always sorry to hear that schools close down that subject.
Dave

Hi Tim,
It looks like a nice lathe. I'm curious why there are washers under the bolt down pads of the head casting. I would have thought that that part bolts directly to the pan and any leveling takes place under the feet of the base? I'm 62 and I have fond memories of shop class. I'm always sorry to hear that schools close down that subject.
Dave

Moxie,
According to the installation instructions from Atlas it says to do the majority of shimming under the feet of the base. The final tweaking is done under the lathe feet if you couldn't get the base perfect. After I get 'er up and running as it should I plan to remove the washers that are in place a re level the base. Hopefully I'll be able to eliminate any shims under the lathe feet.
I did find that you are very limited in the amount of shims you can use under the feet. They effect the belt tension.

If Clausing's price on the shaft is steep look for TG&P drill rod in that same diameter and bronze bearings to match. You may find that a cheaper option.
speedymetals.com is my favorite supplier for drill rod.

Spiral_Chips

SC,
That's a good idea. I'll probably go that route. I'd rather spend the money on a woodruff cutter to make the key-ways and have a tool when finished.

Back