New To Me Atlas 3996 12 X 36 Lathe

Hi Tim
I bought the exact same machine about a year ago. I had the seller do some demos to determine general condition and it functioned quite well with minor signs of wear. Once at home I began cleaning everything I could readily access. In the process I discovered old swarf and grit on the gears. At this point I decided to go completely through it. I completely disassembled, inspected and cleaned every piece. It is quite a project but I'm glad I decided to do it before beginning general operations. I found several things that needed attention. I replaced the bushings on the intermediate motor drive shaft. A loose pulley on the motor shaft had damaged the shaft. I tore down the (original) motor which was otherwise in good condition. I was able to salvage the shaft by filing out the keyway and knocking off ridges caused by the loose pulley set screw. The pulley being softer was damaged beyond repair. I found another online as well as a couple of gears in better condition than mine. I discovered a couple of loosening set screwsI replaced all the belts with the now available link type which also allows replacement of the belts without breaking down the head stock assembly which was a real SOB. I am now in the process of reassembly. Lubing and installing the various parts is quite rewarding knowing how necessary it needed to be done. It's going to be a sweet machine when completed.

The machine came with a good assortment of collets but no puller. I found steady rests, a fixed center, a milling attachment (Clausing) and all the original tool holders even though I have the same quick change post as you. Over time I will acquire more pieces as they become necessary during use. This lathe is my baby. I'm a new member too. I will post pictures after my initial posts.

This is my lathe when I brought it home a few months ago. I almost done with the restmod now. Also did a VFD and Vector Motor Conversion.

Before
20151211_060211_zpsohuguo8v.jpg

This is where I'm at right now.

20160211_023951_zpsbz1sxwsy.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I have a brand new lathe bed coming that I will he installing hopefully next week. I rebuild the spindle, motor upgrade, Dorian QTTP, rebuild the quick change gearbox and the pan is a 14 gauge stainless steel pan I had custom made

This is my lathe when I brought it home a few months ago. I almost done with the restmod now. Also did a VFD and Vector Motor Conversion.

Before

This is where I'm at right now.

I tore everything down and replaced all of the bearings and made new bronze bushings. Bearings are the best I could find precision timkens.. about 440 dollars purchased through our business account.

20151220_012927_zpsl98pb5fd.jpg
I have a brand new lathe bed coming that I will he installing hopefully next week. I rebuild the spindle, motor upgrade, Dorian QTTP, rebuild the quick change gearbox and the pan is a 14 gauge stainless steel pan I had custom made

Moxie,
According to the installation instructions from Atlas it says to do the majority of shimming under the feet of the base. The final tweaking is done under the lathe feet if you couldn't get the base perfect. After I get 'er up and running as it should I plan to remove the washers that are in place a re level the base. Hopefully I'll be able to eliminate any shims under the lathe feet.
I did find that you are very limited in the amount of shims you can use under the feet. They effect the belt tension.

Hi Tim,
I installed adjustable feet under my Atlas cabinet. I leveled up the cabinet (you can set a level at various points on the top of the cabinet and pick what you want because the cabinet is crudely made. This made shimming the lathe feet even more necessary. I bought a 6" machine level and followed the Atlas instructions. This level is extremely sensitive. Graduation marks on the bubble window are .005 per 12". I first had to place shims under the headstock end of the chip pan because the cross piece of the cabinet under the bolt holes sits lower, not flush with the rest of the cabinet. I had to give up on replacing the rubber oil seals in the pan bolt holes because I couldn't establish base leveling which would remain accurate because of compression over time. Some of my base shims are as small as .002". It took an entire day to sort through my fastener assortment to find washers and shims that would add together for the correct shim combinations and to complete the 3 point leveling (.003" deviation) measured on the ways. I also found my ways to be less than perfect. This machine level is totally unforgiving.

deegee01 (Doug) Atlas 3996 12 X 36

Nitmare,

SOP for setting the compound and tool post is to first set the compound at 30 degrees (or 29.5 degrees) on the scale on the cross slide. Then indicate in the face of the CW tool post dove tail to be parallel (trammed) to the spindle axis. This puts the CCW dove tail perpendicular to the axis. Then you would use the CCW dove tail for all turning, threading, grooving and parting off. And the CW dove tail for facing, boring and face grooving. Exception would be if you are using the compound to cut a short taper or need to work right up against the tailstock.

Thank you. I have alot left to do on it as for now it's just a garage ornament lol.

NI,
You are doing an absolutely beautiful job! Again, everyone thinks its just some cleaning then a coat of paint. I spent 5 hours and 35 miles on 4 trips to the local NAPA store today to try to get the proper fitting gates fractional HP belts. I am taking it in steps. Right now my lathe is up and running (not perfectly but running) I now have the ability to fabricate the needed lower counter shaft and bushings that I need. Once that counter shaft is rebuilt I should be finished with repairs.
Once all the repairs are done, I plan to pull the entire machine apart clean (again), strip, prime and repaint. The last thing I will need to do is replace all the belts with factory original and level the machine. I really don't see this project being completed till Spring. I just spent $100.00 on filling some LP tanks for temporary heat in my shop and that was for only two weeks of working.
Keep me posted on your progress....I have to adfmit, as much as I complain about the extra work I have had to do I have enjoyed every minuet spent in my shop.
Tim

EDIT...WOW, that sure is a nice chuck you have. Is it an 8 inch?

Nitmare67:
You seem to be setting a new standard for refurburshing an under-cabinet drive lathe. It is high time I got started on my 101-28990!

Spiral_Chips

Hi TL,

My first (still use it almost every day) lathe is a 12" Atlas but the benchtop model. The accessories you got with the lathe are worth a bunch. Nice job cleaning. Wish I could be more help, but I am reluctant to tear into mine until I get my Heavy 10 restored.

George

Back