*new to me* bench drill press. Help me learn about it?

Wow! Awesome job, probably better than original spec.
Thank you for the kind words! The guys who did the spindle for sure made that better than new, it's really nice and way more true than the way the factory made it (I did some measuring before sending it in). Being able to score the period correct W-T 1/3hp motor and switch from @mattthemuppet2 really set this project off. I'm a little disappointed in my paint job but I am pretty sure being a little less obsessive was a good thing. It was all I could do to not start polishing and nickel plating more stuff to make it more pretty. I left it as original as I could but didn't leave anything not in good condition unfixed. The new, made in USA J33 taper chuck with the threaded collar was also a score that makes this thing nice. I haven't added up to carefully (on purpose) but this wasn't a cheap tool after all. I'll guess around $400 but I like it and will enjoy using it.

Holy moley that looks great!
Really nice job Rick :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that looks fabulous, you'll get alot of enjoyment out of using that drill press. That motor looks a hell of a lot better than it did sitting in a box on my shelf!

that looks fabulous, you'll get alot of enjoyment out of using that drill press. That motor looks a hell of a lot better than it did sitting in a box on my shelf!
I had to change the cotton covered cord to the switch but have som plastic woven and similar looking covering. The switch housing needed straightening which was fun and I went ahead ad took apart the motor to clean amd check.
thanks for offering it to me, I'm really happy these two are together.

Beautiful job on your DP. 400 bucks doesn't sound extravagent considering the condition it's in now.
You certainly can't buy a new DP that's as nice for that amount of $$$.

Beautiful job on your DP. 400 bucks doesn't sound extravagent considering the condition it's in now.
You certainly can't buy a new DP that's as nice for that amount of $$$.
That’s true but it still leaves me wanting a High Speed Hammer unit but those in worse shape are still double the cost of what I have in this and truly this one is likely more versatile for me. I did 20 jets last night and used it today, it’s great. I’ll use it for 1/4” and under holes. Little press is set to 3500 rpm and “Big” press to 650 rpm. I always changed chucks too as I don’t want to mess up a precise chuck, spinning a 1/2” drill as an example.

I had to change the cotton covered cord to the switch but have som plastic woven and similar looking covering. The switch housing needed straightening which was fun and I went ahead ad took apart the motor to clean amd check.
thanks for offering it to me, I'm really happy these two are together.

good call on the cord, I'm sure that's been there since it was made, whenever that was. The rear bearing is new(ish) with a space behind it to make it the right thickness, but the pulley end bearing seemed fine to me. I'm really glad to see it in its new home, looks really good and it's great that it's being used. The money you gave me for it will go towards tooling or a DRO for my new-to-me South Bend 9 :)

good call on the cord, I'm sure that's been there since it was made, whenever that was. The rear bearing is new(ish) with a space behind it to make it the right thickness, but the pulley end bearing seemed fine to me. I'm really glad to see it in its new home, looks really good and it's great that it's being used. The money you gave me for it will go towards tooling or a DRO for my new-to-me South Bend 9 :)
It's all awesome! Yea the motor runs and ran perfectly smoothly. I first put is on and was so happy with myself and just before going up to bed, I tried drilling a a hole, you know, the first one... and it wouldn't! The motor was running in reverse so that spurred the disassembly for me to figure what was going on. Turns out the start wires were reversed, both the same color wire. I had to brush up on my squirrel cage motors... i wanted to save the cool cotton braided cord to the switch because it seems original. At the end of the day, I decided it was just not in good enough shape so I replaced it with another SO 12-2 cable of the same diameter and added a polyester braided sheath just in homage to the history. The motor is from the mid to late 30s from what I can tell. Just right for my drill press and your story and acquaintance is a nice part of the tool now.

oh shoot, sorry about that! I thought I put the wires back the right way (I took pictures) but I definitely did some head scratching when I put the motor back together. Clearly not enough :)

Back