New To Me Compact 8 Cleanup Thread

The one from Grizzly is for a G4000 model.
Im from darkest africa.it takes ten days for something to reach our shores from eg China. Then it takes three months to travel 60km. If you are lucky it wont get lost. I will just make one but I think mine is okay. I am happy you found a solution.Its really a good way to understand your lathe by completely breaking it down and building it up again. They are seriously good quality. I never use mine but havent he heart to get rid of it.

What are you planning to do on the lathe. ? It has its drawbacks.It cant do left hand threads. I made a reverse tumbler for mine. I have an emco milling attachment,not the column ,a 3 piece collet set and both steadys.I have an emco four jaw but no faceplate.I made some toolholders in this little lathe before I got my mill.

I'm mostly turning diameters for small motor shafts. I'm not too concerned about threading at the moment. I can use a die for that as needed. I just figured out I don't have a full set of change gears anyway :confused:. Mine had several gears on it but they are apparently more for the fine feed of the leadscrew and not threading.

The motor cleaned up great! It was such a filthy mess on the outside, but it ran great so it just needed a good cleaning. Bearings must be in good shape, everything is tight no play in the shaft, no noises and purrs along nice and quiet while running.IMG_20181113_205127_HHT.jpg

I think I have the bearing preload set about right. I give the chuck a spin by hand and it goes around just shy of 1.5 turns with no play in the headstock.

Well I'm not painting the sheet metal parts. They all are still well protected by the original paint and in good shape I just don't see any point. They cleaned up nicely and the paint job is better than my brush painting.
At the end of the day, it is a tool meant to do work so a slight mismatch in color won't hurt a thing. I won't have any trouble identifying it if ever gets stolen :DIMG_20181114_113111_HDR.jpg

I went in and replaced some wireing covers (it was very nasty and was going to be a major pain to clean) with some large heat shrink tubing and got the electrical section back on so I could test the motor, forward and reverse both work as they should. I'm no electrical guru but I don't ever recall seeing an AC motor that can be run in both directions like that. Common for DC motors but any AC motor I can recall that used a start capacitor would only run in one direction.

Does anyone know why there is an intermediate position on the switch for both forward and reverse directions? It is in between the off position and the run position on both sides. Does it just energize the capacitor? Seems kind of odd to me.

Here is my mismatched paint scheme :D
IMG_20181114_145257.jpg

Back